Anyone make chainmaille?

Dana

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 10, 2007
New Hampshire
Not chain letters, the metal fabric.
wink.png
I tried doing a search and nothing came up, so I thought I'd start a thread to see if any chicken keepers share this hobby.

I've been making maille for five years, and I'm just now trying to sell some of my stuff. I have an Etsy shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6821269 and I'm working on a web site.

Quote:
You could still make it just because it's cool.
cool.png
I've made some armor, like a shirt, coif, and bracers, but I think jewelry is easier to sell.

No, the Etsy shop is my first venture into selling. I've always mailled as a hobby, exploring different weaves and just making whatever I felt like. Chainmaille inlays are my favorite to make, but they take a lot of time which is why I'm doing tiny ones and turning them into pendants.

Dana, do you weld your links closed. What kind of wire do you use--half hard? I've dabbled in jewelry making and I always worry that something is going to be pulled apart and I'll have unhappy customers.

Attack Chicken,
Do you mean the cost of the materials? For armor or jewelry? It really depends on the metals you use and whether you make the rings yourself or buy them.

kinnip,
I don't weld my rings. Very few chainmaillers I know weld or solder their work. Mostly it isn't necessary, and would increase the time and cost to make each piece by so much that most people probably wouldn't be willing to pay for the increase in strength. It also isn't possible with some materials, especially those that jewelry makers use, such as anodized metals.

The metals I use vary in temper. Enameled copper, which I like for it's brilliant colors, is rather delicate and I only use it for things like earrings and necklaces (at least in the smaller wire diameters) which don't take as much of a beating as say bracelets. Yes these pieces could be pulled apart, but jewelry usually is not indestructible, and I think most people realize that.

I do make sure that my pieces are not actually weak, at least by jewelry standards. I use smaller aspect ratios when the wire is soft (smaller diameter rings with thicker wire), and always make very good closures on my rings.

WriterofWords,
Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom