Anyone making plans for Spring?

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
Well in September I bought my new home. It is a fixer upper that is liveable. The people before me pulled all the trim down, there are a few other interior things to do as well. However, all I can think about is the outside. It has a small garden pond that needs redone, and last fall I saw my first hummingbirds-and they were in MY yard, so I want to plant lots of flowers that they love, oh and a garden for some fresh veggies, pull up all that large gravel that the previous owners put in every flower bed, clean and repair the gutters, paint the trim, and............

So I am asking...what would you do first?

What are your Spring plans?

Have you been getting garden magazines yet? Gurney's have a GREAT deal, but you have to order before 2/2 I think . . . but you get a coupon for $100 off if you order $200. Sounds high, but you can get a LOT of good shrubs and stuff for your yard. And they are a very reputable company. There are two other coupons, one for $50/$100 and $25/$50. later ordering dates. Butterfly bushes are a must for your hummingbirds, and they are just lovely and the butterflies eat them up, of course!! Vines with deep throats please the hummingbirds too, and don't forget moon vines for the night pollinators. Pine Tree Seeds is another good CHEAP company, I order a lot from them, and of course Jung's and Parks are wonderful seed and plant companies too. I am planning grapes, blackberries, and other perennial type food plantings this year. Planning for the economy let down that I think is coming. I really want to start my own seeds, but I don't have a good spot to keep them like I need. . .going to have to get a plan in action for that!!! Good Luck!!!

Yes, I went through about 10 catalogs the other day, marking them with what I want.

I hadn't thought of moon vines, I will have to look at them.

I was looking at Jungs and Shumways...I think they are the same company, and Shumways is much cheaper! Same items and item numbers.

Thanks!!! You too!

Here Western Washington I am starting to think about mid summer. Thinking about spring is way to much like thinking about winter. Mid to late Summer is a glorious time around here. The other months are all grey and wet.

spring plans??
to GET MORE CHICKENS
th.gif

Well were expecting our first daughter this spring so looking forward to that :) Also planning on hatching some quail, button and Coturnix. Would like to eventually breed for certain colors. The coop is full up right now so probably no new chickens or ducks this spring. As for DH's garden, already got our spring catalogs :)

spring plans??
to GET MORE CHICKENS :th

i might have to downsize though before i upsize.. :/ too many roos!!

That is normally the plan for us chicken lovers.

Well were expecting our first daughter this spring so looking forward to that :) Also planning on hatching some quail, button and Coturnix. Would like to eventually breed for certain colors. The coop is full up right now so probably no new chickens or ducks this spring. As for DH's garden, already got our spring catalogs :)

Congratulations!!!

Here Western Washington I am starting to think about mid summer. Thinking about spring is way to much like thinking about winter. Mid to late Summer is a glorious time around here. The other months are all grey and wet. 

We had a grey day here, the rain is much needed, but tonight we have very heavy fog.

Spring planning is the only way we survive winter I swear. Me and mom pour over catalogs and make list after list. We are getting trays ready for tomato plants, keep sniffing the lemons growing in the heated greenhouse and praying spring gets here faster so we can get started. Going to do meat chickens. Going to buy a steer calf. Going to have baby goats being born. More fruit trees and a couple more elderberry bushes. Mom is charting out new areas to clear that she can plant up. I am marking spots that we might put the new herb bed. Then its back to catalogs again.

Back
Top Bottom