Anyone out there have Kraienkoppe !

bigb-71

Songster
10 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Ceder ridge CA
i just got two koppe hens and i want to start a project but i need a roo for these girls . so if anybody has an idea let me know . they are a great breed very friendly , they fly very well eat anything they can grab . i really enjoy them . any info would be great i've read all i can find on the internet about them .
80140_dscn7680.jpg
they are'nt the best but you got to start some where right and these are not easy to find i got these two by accident but glad i did . please i need a roo anybody ?
80140_dscn7678.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal and Sandhill both have them. i do know of some others who have them, but, i'm not sure any stock is going to be that much better than what you will get from those 2 sources.

Both of them are out of koppe's right now just kind of hopeing someone had a roo i could barrow or buy ! so i could get this project going . thanks for your time .
Quote:

they have very cool feather color . very pleaseing to the eye !
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I love their Salmon color and how it extends to some parts of the body...

Quote:
I would take Gallorojo's suggestion to heart. As you know from my own thread, I have a keen interest in the Kraienkoppe, and am thinking about taking two hatchery lines and crossing them after some furious (if necessary) culling.
I myself am considering ordering a pair of BBR Kraienkoppes from IDEAL in the spring of 2012. It's a few months' wait, I know, but definitely worth it. You can get fewer chickens from IDEAL than from Sandhill for a cheaper price (I purchased seven chicks for under $30), though eventually you and I both (if we took Gallo's suggestion) would eventually have to buy from Sandhill for crossing strains.
Wish I could give you a number or a website for a Kraienkoppe breeder who would be able to immediately supply you with a roo, but I am unable to do that.
hmm.png
Where did you get your Koppe girls? They don't look perfect, but they look like they'd be some good framework, especially in their body structure (i.e. thin and elegant, like the Koppes should be).
Hope all goes well with your--and mine--Kraienkoppe project!
wink.png

Oh, here's a copy of the unofficial European standard for the Kraienkoppe. Found it on a link that Gallo sent me. You might have seen it before...

The Kraienkoppe Breed Standard:
Origin: In the Bentheim area, both sides of the German/Dutch border. 1925 was the first time it was shown in Germany.
Breeding Goal: An early maturing laying hen with 180-200 eggs in the first year of lay, 150-160 in the second year; non-broody; very rich in tender white meat; minimum weight for hatching eggs is 58-60 grams; shell colour: white to tinted.
General Impression: A sleek, powerful type of country chicken, giving the impression of a game bird; especially in the head, and then carriage, and thighs; the tail that is set wide and carried ‘attached’; tight feathering, which gives them protection from moisture; feathers on both sides of the quill are narrow; a trusting but very lively temperament.
Standard weights: Rooster (2.5-3.0 kg), Hen (2.0-2.5 kg).
Breed Characteristic: Rooster
Trunk: powerfully built, sleekly elongated, with broad shoulders, upright, elongated carriage; hold themselves like a game bird.
Back: good, medium-long, straight, barely narrows from the powerful, wide shoulders to the back; lightly slopes, with a wide, rich (but not too long) saddle.
Tail: A bit more than medium-long, with a pronounced tail angle; it carries the feathers lightly spread, with a lot of rounded, hard-shafted sickle feathers which lean toward the body in a beautiful semi-circle; set wide.
Breast: wide, full, carried somewhat high and bulging slightly towards the front.
Stomach: pretty wide, fully developed.
Wings: pretty long, slightly open, but not carried lose/floppy; they lay close to the body; the wing tips are under the saddle feathers.
Head: short, wide, rounded, with small brow ridges, and a ‘mare’s neck’ (Translator’s note: where the hackle feathers curve out from the head, like a mane – like a good Orloff rooster)
Face: red, fine skinned, free of feathers, short.
Eye: vivacious, fiery, yellow-red to red, deep set.
Beak: short, strong, yellow; horn-striped
Comb: not too narrow, laying well on the head, a knot of flesh on the front part of the skull; in the shape of a half, rather long strawberry; shouldn’t go on past middle of eye; in a well-bred specimen it has tiny points.
Ear lobes: small, red.
Wattles: very short, do not obscure the red throat.
Throat: A little more than medium-long, powerful; feathers are not too long in the hackle; the hackle really highlights the mare’s neck, and does not cover the shoulders due to the short feathers.
Thighs: muscular, pronounced forward placement with smooth feathers.
Legs: good; medium-long, slim; unfeathered, yellow without red stripes.
Feathers: tight, no fluffy or loose plumage.
Breed Characteristics: The Hen
The powerful, slender trunk is carried almost horizontal; she shows a well-developed laying stomach that reaches far toward the back; a tail that is carried slightly open (spread), easily visible thighs, hard plumage, the comb is pretty small; wattles almost invisible; ear lobes small and red -- if pale like a game bird, this is not a fault.
COLOUR STANDARDS
(For good pictures of specimens of the colour names, see http://www.gefluegel.org/kenn.html)
Silberhalsig Rooster: Head: white; hackle is silver-white with pronounced black shaft line; back, shoulders and saddle are pure silver white, but with pronounced shaft lines; the wing covers are silver-white; cover feathers (‘Binden’) are black with green sheen. The secondaries are white on the outside, but black on the inside and tip; the primaries are black with narrow white outer edges; the breast, stomach, and thighs are black; the tail is deep black with green sheen on the sickles.
Hen: head is silver-grey; hackle is silver-white with black or grey shaft lines; back, shoulders, and wings are grey with a fine silver-grey sprinkles and white feather shaft; and so every feather shows a narrow light silver-grey edge. No "Flitter" (light, shiny, unmarked edge of a speckled feather). Breast, powerful, salmon-colured; stomach moving toward tail a light ash-grey; tail is black-grey, looking as if sprinkled with flour.
Goldhalsig: Rooster: head, orange-red; hackle, with black or grey shaft lines; wing bows and back are gold-red; saddle feathers are gold-yellow with weak shaft lines; wing covers are gold-red with black cover feathers with green sheen; secondaries are brown on the outside, black on the inside and the tip; primaries are black with narrow brown outer edges; breast is black; rest of feathers are black; sickles have green sheen.
Hen: gold-yellow head; hackle is gold-yellow with black or grey shaft lines; the body feathers are of a light brown main colour – colour tone even throughout, with fine black stripes or peppering; every feather has a yellow shaft and fine, equally wide narrow gold-yellow edges, with no Flitter; breast is salmon coloured; stomach and toward tail are brownish to ash-grey; tail is black with brown marks.
Major faults: short or narrow trunk; thin or short neck; too high or too low position; Maylay back; wings that hand down, are floppy; a steep tail or one that has few feathers or is flat; white or grey speckles in dark feathers; either a plump or narrow pointy narrow head; an abnormal comb; wattles that are large; fish eyes; plumage that is soft and fluffy; narrow sickles; duck-footedness; cowlicks in the neck feathers; twisted feathers;
COLOUR FAULTS
For Silverhalsig: a rich, strong grey shaft line; a too long shaft line; black dots in the hackle; any impurities in the white – brown, red, yellow tones; faded colour, or rust colour in the body feathers; neck without marks; mistakes in the salmon breast.
For Goldhasig: if it has one coloured, dark, or straw coloured hackle; impure marking; brown breast; if instead of a salmon breast, visible white fluff at the bottom of the feather shaft is visible; black dots in the hackle; back dots in any feather; noticeable rust colour.

Hope that's informative!

i got mine in this crazy little hole in the wall feed store they where EE when i bought them just got them to keep some others i hatch warm and they got bigger i knew they where some kind of game fowl so did some reserch and found out what they where and i'm very pleased to say the least . so any help is great and i thank you for the standered that helps i know they are not perfect but it's where i'm going to start !
Quote:
I would take Gallorojo's suggestion to heart. As you know from my own thread, I have a keen interest in the Kraienkoppe, and am thinking about taking two hatchery lines and crossing them after some furious (if necessary) culling.
I myself am considering ordering a pair of BBR Kraienkoppes from IDEAL in the spring of 2012. It's a few months' wait, I know, but definitely worth it. You can get fewer chickens from IDEAL than from Sandhill for a cheaper price (I purchased seven chicks for under $30), though eventually you and I both (if we took Gallo's suggestion) would eventually have to buy from Sandhill for crossing strains.
Wish I could give you a number or a website for a Kraienkoppe breeder who would be able to immediately supply you with a roo, but I am unable to do that.
hmm.png
Where did you get your Koppe girls? They don't look perfect, but they look like they'd be some good framework, especially in their body structure (i.e. thin and elegant, like the Koppes should be).
wink.png

Quote:
hmm.png
wink.png

No problem!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom