Anyone tried outrageous male to female ratios?

birdmandan

Songster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne SE Suburbs
I have had my first hatch with a 1 male, 10 females ratio. I have had people tell me that I should expect 50% or higher hatch. My result was only 25%. I'm not sure whether to introduce more males or try my luck again. I need a source from veteran breeders that is reliable. Has anyone here tried a higher female ratio? What was your result? PS. The birds are 16 weeks old, male 270 grams, female 300 grams.

From my experience 1 rooster for no more than 4 hens. This year I may drop to 2 or 3 hens in effort for more fertilized eggs. This year I had 2 roosters in pen with 8 hens and had hatch rates 68-69% using homemade styrofoam incubators. When I candled eggs after 7 or 8 days I had several clear eggs that I assumed were not fertile.

Gosh I think most would be thrilled with that hatch rate!! Most people want girls. Boys are a pain. I was thrilled with 6 out of 8 eggs that hatched were girls. Still trying to decide what to do with the boys. I’m a bleeding heart and can’t kill them myself

I have had my first hatch with a 1 male, 10 females ratio. I have had people tell me that I should expect 50% or higher hatch. My result was only 25%. I'm not sure whether to introduce more males or try my luck again. I need a source from veteran breeders that is reliable. Has anyone here tried a higher female ratio? What was your result? PS. The birds are 16 weeks old, male 270 grams, female 300 grams.
Shipped eggs?

I have 8 males and 25 females, it works okay but lower would be ideal... if I didn't have a strong lead cock that kept the others from mating it would not work. Your ratios would definitely not work.

I keep my quail at 2:1 (f:m) in 1 cage, 4:1 (f:m) in 2nd cage and 5:1 (f:m) in 3rd cage and have had 75% hatch rates.
This coming season I'm going to put 25:6 ratio in 1 pen and see how they go with fertility.
I think 10:1 is too many hens for the roo.

I have a 98 egg incubator. I only have 1 breeding cage which is 100cm x60cm. Hence why I keep only 1 male. Perhaps I will split the cage into 2 compartments and have 1 roo with 7 hens for each. That way, I will still be able to fill the incubator within 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom