Anyone tried Purina’s new high protein feed?

LINK HERE for those interested in their product page. Looks like a rebranded "Feather Fixer" with a new buzz word and a slightly altered feed recipe. The fact that Met levels remain at the bare minimum 0.3% is all i need to see to know I won't use it except in desperation. Good chance the Met levels aren't high enough to make use of the rest of the amino acids in the feed, meaning increased nitrogen in the poops, usually expressed as ammonia.
Curious about the Met levels, what are you looking for? I see 0.3, 0.44, 0.6 in the purina foods nothing higher. What food are you using?

Curious about the Met levels, what are you looking for? I see 0.3, 0.44, 0.6 in the purina foods nothing higher. What food are you using?
I'm using a local mill, and start with their "game bird grower" because I almost always have hatchlings, so I consider 0.6% the absolute minimum for my needs. They've recently reduced their Met levels (pandemic) as have many of the larger producers. Actually, the new bags are just 0.5% - bought it this past week. That's the second pandemic related reduction, it used to be 0.7%. Thanks for asking, I would not have noticed for a while, otherwise. This particular local mill's game bird is lower protein than some carrying similar label, its just 24%, and would make a very good feed for Cx with the addition of a bit more fat.

My adult bird's needs are lower (0.4%), which I reach by doing things I don't recommend others due - but I don't keep my birds as long as many others do, either.

and my birds? Dual purpose mutts.

I would like to know the ingredients as I'm still looking. I started the girls on Scratch and Peck---beautiful seeds and bsfl protein... but I found myself throwing away so much of the powder (where all the vitamins and grub protein are) and they would pick thru to their fav seeds. I tried fermenting it to incorporate all the small bits but this is too involved for my schedule and anyone that may be feeding them while we're out of town. I started looking for a different feed. I tried New Country Organics Non-gmo and soy-free pellets. Tried a week long transition and the girls hated the pellets. I think they are spoiled and disliked the change from the seeds. I persisted with the pellets. The girls persisted being spoiled and eating the pellets only to keep from starving! The feed store suggested Golden Oak with 20% protein pellets. The ingredients start with: grain products, plant protein products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products, forage products, etc. "Products"... hmmmm. You don't really know what these products are and the chicken poo is monstrous on this feed! Similar to when you feed a cat or dog a high quality food and the poo is small and almost no smell and when you feed a low quality food and the poo is large and smelly. I apologize for the details but my birds poo is prob twice the size and so smelly. Now that the girls are mostly accepting of pellets (still spoiled!), I'm going to try Texas Natural Feeds non-gmo, soy free 18% pellets and slowly combine the feeds and switch them over. I'm learning as I merrily go along.

I want to add one more thing to my comment above. I don't think New Country Organics is a bad feed. It was the first pellet my girls had and they weren't appreciative! I'm still mixing it with the Golden Oak and they seem to prefer the slightly smaller pellet size of New Country Organics. I'm going to try the Texas Natural Feed 18% as it is a larger bag for the same price as NCO and will keep NCO as a good backup if needed.

I won't buy Purina at all anymore, their feed went down hill at the end of the summer, first bugs, then really stale and then slightly stale. Feed store exchanged the bug ridden one, and the really stale one, but they were still a little stale.
Sounds like it's more the feed store than it is the feed. They may not be storing it right or not selling that brand often and you have old bags.

I know name brands and such make people feel good. We have Rural Kings in Ohio . Have used their brand for years with layer pellets. About 16% protein. Currently paying $14 for 50 lbs. No ill affects, hens love it. Supplement with some heads of lettuce and a flick block. $20 or more for feed is way to high.

I only buy a bag of Purina at my local feed store if I am unable to drive the 30 miles to a Rural King for real feed. It seems to have bugs and draws flies. Not worth the extra bucks either - $27 a 50-lb bag versus $14 a 50-lb bag at RK.

I only buy a bag of Purina at my local feed store if I am unable to drive the 30 miles to a Rural King for real feed. It seems to have bugs and draws flies. Not worth the extra bucks either - $27 a 50-lb bag versus $14 a 50-lb bag at RK.
There again this has to do with how the store handles their feed more than anything against Purina.

Back
Top Bottom