Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

When do they start drinking and eating?
I usually keep mine in the incubator for day 1.. offer water on day 2.. sometimes they will drink.. sometimes they won't.. then I offer food on day 2 and 3.. some will nibble on it.. some will just peck at it.. some ignore it completely on day 2.. it just depends on the chick.. by day 4 they are drinking and eating with no problem

One of my 2nd batch of eggs is wiggling! The other two I am sure that they are not any good, but will keep incubating them until the due date or they start to stink. Just 2 more weeks on them. In case I have a lone chick, is there anyone that is willing to sell me one, so I can have a pair? Thanks so much for all your help! :)

I was trying to drill a hole in egg D, for I felt the insides sloshing, but broke a big chuck of the shell. :barnie Was going to make a small hole so I can blow it out. Anyway, the egg whites were yellowish in color with a bit of blood clots. So, I think that is was fertile, and had a chick, but died early on. :( The yolk was huge, but was like a ball of clay. It was hard to get it out, had to scoop it out in pieces with my finger. It was a bit smelly. :sick

I am going to wait on egg E for an other day or two.

I haven't been here in awhile. Congrats to everyone on their cute babies!

Here's a update on my eggs. I ended up incubating 18 eggs and none hatched. Major bummer that's for sure. I opened the eggs and one had a fully formed baby that looked ready to hatch, but didn't. Several had blood rings and another had a fetus about 2 inches in length. Sigh. I'll try again next year.

Last edited:
Ouch, do you know what went wrong with your incubation?

I have absolutely no idea what happened. A friend of mine did tell me that no one has ever been able to hatch eggs from the pair of emu that produced the eggs. Don't know why. He also told me that getting a baby to almost hatch is the best anyone's ever done w/this particular pair. Sounds like inexperience in incubation to me.....I've hatched literally everything from finches to chickens, peafowl, to parrots in that incubator. I can't imagine what I did wrong...and I'm pretty positive it was me....I mean how can you NOT hatch at least 1 out of 18 eggs? Major bummer though.

So sorry about your bad hatch rate, 9Catsz. Hopefully that you will have a better hatch rate next time. Don't give up! Were the eggs from your own birds?

So sorry about your bad hatch rate, 9Catsz. Hopefully that you will have a better hatch rate next time. Don't give up! Were the eggs from your own birds?

The eggs came from birds owned by a friend of my cousin. She's never tried to hatch any, just blows them out and sells empty egg shells. When my cousin told her I was looking to buy emu eggs, she said if I hatched some for her we could split the bbs. I only wanted 1 or 2 so I agreed to do it. Still scratching my head on what I did wrong.

9Catsz- What kind of incubator did you use? From what I have read here, I am thinking of lack of right nutrition of the parent birds, since it may not have been your incubator since you have hatched other types of poultry in that thing.

I have two wigglers of my 2nd group of eggs! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom