Anyone Use Leaves as Bedding for Coop?

sbarab

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Conroe, TX
I just spent the last few hours blowing leaves around my back yard. I live in TX and the majority of the leaves wait until December to fall. So here I am making these huge piles of leaves along the chainlink fence for the chicken's run.

I got to wondering if the leaves would be useful and free bedding for the Coop.

Thoughts anyone?

Yes, you can use them in the coop or run. Pile them in deep. The chickens will reduce 8-10 inches to about 1-2 inches in a day or two.

Imp- If you leave the piles in your yard, the chickens will spread them out again so you can have the pleasure of blowing/raking them again.
roll.png

I've got leaves in my chicken coop and quail coops. I figured come spring I'm gonna rake them backup and drop them in my composter. I live in a subdivision that cut down all the trees when they built it so I got my leaves off Freecycle. 2 truck loads!!

I've used them before when I ran out of pine shavings. I wasn't too thrilled with them. But they were free, and worked in a pinch.

I wouldn't use them at all if they weren't very, very dry.

Dryness is important. I have mixed some with my grass clippings. No problems and they are free to boot. Ditto for grass clippings. I toss a basket of clippings into their run during summertime and they both scatter and root thru them while they devour them. I am sold on grass clippings and they are free so it has been a win-win for me. I have 6" thick litter almost entirely grass clippings.

Back
Top Bottom