Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

I am going to use sand in my run. Can I put sand in my coop? I have an expensive, pre fab, cheaply made chicken coop, and I am not sure the tray over the roosting bars will be sturdy enough to hold sand. Any thoughts?
Sand in the coop? Could you post a picture of your coop?

Okay, I've read a lot about sand in the run. My run is covered with horse stall mats 4f x 6ft x 3/4in. ... Columbus Ohio Health Department Vet requires a sold floor in the coop and run...to keep poop in the ground soil. My question is: can I use sand on top of the horse stall mats...what kind if sand...how thick should I make it? Thank you!

We got over six inches of rain in 2 days. When I went to collect eggs Sat. I almost took a header in the coop. I loaded up the wheelbarrel with 2 loads of wet sand left over from another project and dumped it in there...Much better! The chixs spent the rest of the day making sandcastles in their water bowl but aside from that I love sand! How is it when it dries out in summer? Are the fleas bad?
Wet sand-in my experience, mixed with chicken poo will breed stinkiness fast, esp if its warm to hot weather. I always use dry construction grade sand only.

I use coarse all purpose sand in my run and I love it. I use a kitty litter scoop to pick up poops; works great.

I've read that in very dry conditions sand can be dusty when the wind gets blowing, but it hasn't been dry enough for that to be a problem here.

I'm thinking of using sand instead of pine shavings in my coop this winter. Has anyone else tried that, and if so, how'd it work out?
Yep, I live in Michigan and have used sand in my coop for years. Learned the hard way the sand must be DRY, construction grade not play sand. Has worked well year-round for me.

Wet sand-in my experience, mixed with chicken poo will breed stinkiness fast, esp if its warm to hot weather. I always use dry construction grade sand only.
Have never heard of this....so no contact with dirt?
That's kinda ridiculous, especially in the run.<scratcheshead>

Thank you, to all the responds. Columbus Ohio Health Department makes the rules.... No contact to dirt in the coop or run. Free run is limited to 4 hours per day. Coop and run size limited to 64 sq ft. No Roosters permitted, hens and drakes permitted.

Thank you, to all the responds. Columbus Ohio Health Department makes the rules.... No contact to dirt in the coop or run. Free run is limited to 4 hours per day. Coop and run size limited to 64 sq ft. No Roosters permitted, hens and drakes permitted.
How many birds in that 64sqft?

In other words, they really don't want you to have chickens...
...as well as knowing nothing about them

Below is the Columbus Ohio Health Department code.

Attachments

• City Health Code MASTER_Amended 12.5.17_221.05_FOWL.1.pdf
    278.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom