Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
a mite/lice preventative

We recently filled in the base of our open-air coop with deep sand. We have clay soil - i.e. very poor drainage. Over the last few years, the coop floor fell below the surrounding ground level, which made the situation even worse.

Now the coop floor is sand and several inches higher than the surrounding ground level. It is so much better - dries quickly after the rain comes in from the side! I periodically scrape off the surface poop, which is dry and easy to collect. I am still looking for a better tool than a manure shovel - need a giant litter box scoop! And of course, I should do the cleaning more often than I do. Nonetheless - the sand floor is a vast improvement on our old dirt floor or shavings in our environment.

I originally got the idea from the Greenfire Farms website. They also are in Florida and have open air coops, so rain comes in from the sides. You can see their coop construction on their website - look at the blog titles. Since they have such pricey birds, I figure that they wouldn't use the sand floor if it created health issues, similar to sand colic in horses. So far, I am not aware of any problems in my birds related to ingesting sand.

I wonder if a cranberry rake attached to a handle would work well? Don't know where you find a cranberry rake outside of the East coast. Might be expensive.

DE = Diatomaceous Earth. Fossilized diatom (miniscule ocean dwellers) shell. Two grades: One for swimming pool filter--DO NOT USE FOR ANIMALS!!! The one you want is FOOD GRADE. It MUST be labeled that way! Some people swear that it prevents or even treats mites. I've had no luck with that, and I've used it liberally. WEAR A MASK, and don't let your animals breathe it, either. Silicates are very dangerous to the lungs. Lungs will compensate for a number of years, then reach their "tipping point" and go south all at once. Lung transplant is the next step, if you are "lucky." Likewise, if you do any glass grinding, such as in stained glass work, have a suitable and well-researched respirator and evacuation system. Ditto for SANDBLASTING.
Many believe that a small percentage mixed in with feed will kill internal parasites. The scientific community is still out on that one.
DE is "sharp" (doesn't feel that way to us) and is often used in gardens to cut and or dessicate (dry out) slugs. It HAS helped me in the garden. It's action is physical, rather than chemical.
Many put some DE in with the mix for dust-bathing for their chickens.
Remember, FOOD grade ONLY!!!! Can be purchased online by the 50# bag, or, much more expensive, in small bags from various sources.

a mite/lice preventative

DE = Diatomaceous Earth. Fossilized diatom (miniscule ocean dwellers) shell. Two grades: One for swimming pool filter--DO NOT USE FOR ANIMALS!!! The one you want is FOOD GRADE. It MUST be labeled that way! Some people swear that it prevents or even treats mites. I've had no luck with that, and I've used it liberally. WEAR A MASK, and don't let your animals breathe it, either. Silicates are very dangerous to the lungs. Lungs will compensate for a number of years, then reach their "tipping point" and go south all at once. Lung transplant is the next step, if you are "lucky." Likewise, if you do any glass grinding, such as in stained glass work, have a suitable and well-researched respirator and evacuation system. Ditto for SANDBLASTING.
Many believe that a small percentage mixed in with feed will kill internal parasites. The scientific community is still out on that one.
DE is "sharp" (doesn't feel that way to us) and is often used in gardens to cut and or dessicate (dry out) slugs. It HAS helped me in the garden. It's action is physical, rather than chemical.
Many put some DE in with the mix for dust-bathing for their chickens.
Remember, FOOD grade ONLY!!!! Can be purchased online by the 50# bag, or, much more expensive, in small bags from various sources.
ah ok, ty!
thumbsup.gif

oh my gosh, chicken info is mind boggling! my brain is getting tired.

I guess I'll buy sand for my new 4x4 coop.

If I were adding DE, how much might I add? Would I only do it when it's warm/hot out?

Back
Top Bottom