Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
... I know I have a drainage issue.. I've stated that quite obviously if you had read my entire replies!:oops:
  My concern was with suggestions for the best choice possible in replacing lost soil in the area as I'm preparing to do that.
   :smack Clearly I have an audacity problem for even bothering anyone with such complicated thoughts. My apologies.
  I have received some solid thoughts on what to use from other knowledgeable  members now (which I am extremely thankful for!:hugs ),
    so no need to criticize any further, thank you.
  Good luck with everyones projects!

PS... dirt, peat, and many other soils are known to hold liquid.. just sayin':tongue

I use clay soil here in NC to repair and fix drainage areas. It packs solid and works great. After the clay is packed tight you can add sand. In north Carolina all we have is red clay as soil so its easy for us. Not sure if you have good red clay available tho.

ok so i want to use sand in my coop and run, but i was told i need sillica free sand and i dont have a local query around me. So where can i buy sillica free sand, or once the chicks are a certain age does it matter if it is sillica free?
hu.gif

ok so i want to use sand in my coop and run, but i was told i need sillica free sand and i dont have a local query around me. So where can i buy sillica free sand, or once the chicks are a certain age does it matter if it is sillica free?:confused:

What is sillica free sand? I never heard of that. And why do you need that type of sand? :idunno

@ Kuntry girl-- i have no idea! lol but i was told by a lady i have been following (she blogs) and she said several times to use sillica free sand... but i havnt heard anyone else use/find sillica free. so im trying to find out what kind of sand is most used.... i just dont want to hurt my babies cuz i tried to be cheap...

@ Kuntry girl--  i have no idea! lol  but i was told by a lady i have been following (she blogs) and she said several times to use sillica free sand...   but i havnt heard anyone else use/find sillica free.   so im trying to find out what kind of sand is most used....  i just dont want to hurt my babies cuz i tried to be cheap...

I totally understand. When you find out, can you please let me know? Thanks! :)

I just googled sillica free sand and this is what I found.

Silica Free Sand brings you safe, healthy sand that's perfect for commercial and residential playgrounds. This fine silica free sand is pure white, and it contains no silica and no quartz, so your children can play safely in it. Our indoor play sand brings sculpting fun to classrooms in a wide variety of colors, and it avoids the clean-up with standard sand. We ship silica free sand and indoor fun sand anywhere in the USA. For enjoying your silica free sand and fun sand, we also sell a wide range of sandboxes, sand tables, sandbox covers, and sand toys for commercial and residential settings. If you need more information about our silica free sand, just phone us today! We also sell a wide variety of commercial playground equipment.

Playbox Sand is 99.9% Silica free, it does not contain the harmful cancer-causing chemicals that regular brown sand contains.

What OSHA says about crystalline silica:
Silica, Crystalline Silicosis is a disabling, nonreversible and sometimes fatal lung disease caused by overexposure to respirable crystalline silica. More than one million U.S. workers are exposed to crystalline silica, and each year more than 250 die from silicosis. There is no cure for the disease, but it is 100 percent preventable if employers, workers, and health professionals work together to reduce exposures.

What EPA says about crystalline silica:
Health Effects of Inhaled Crystalline and Amorphous Silica (from the EPA website)

ABSTRACT: Recently, public concern regarding nonoccupational or ambient silica exposure, mainly to crystalline silica, has emerged making it important to evaluate background and ambient concentrations. Ambient emissions of silica rarely are estimated or measured in air pollution studies of particulate matter.

Crystalline silica is widely used in industry and has long been recognized as a major occupational hazard, causing disability and deaths among workers in several industries. This is a health risk assessment covering the causes and studies of crystalline silica exposure.

National Health and Safety Performance Standards:
Standards For Sandboxes/Sand Play Areas
1) Sand play areas must be distinct from landings areas for any equipment such as slides, swings, etc.

2) All sandboxes shall be kept covered when not under adult surveillance. This covering shall be secured to prevent entry by children or animals, and sufficient to prevent contamination by solids or liquids.

3) Sandboxes shall be equipped with constant and effective drainage systems and be constructed to present no safety hazards.

4) Sand shall not be of the compacting type and should be replaced by fine pea gravel that is smooth surfaced. Any media placed in sandboxes shall present no preventable health or safety hazards by its nature or structure.

5) Sterilized sand or pea gravel should be obtained for sandbox use.

6) Sand that becomes contaminated shall be replaced with sterilized sand or pea gravel or the contaminant removed, where it is possible, to capture and dispose of all the contaminant. Treatment of sand with chemicals to attempt to sterilize it within the sandbox is not recommended.

7) Sandboxes/sand play areas shall be inspected for signs of contamination and safety hazards before each use.

Sand in boxes and play areas shall be replaced as needed and at least every two years.

@ Kuntry girl--  of coarse, it looks like just the play sand from home depot is winning...

;) :thumbsup

I will have to research that and see what it looks like and what the difference is.

I just use sand from a local sand company but I know a lot of people don't have one in their area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom