Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
wink.png
thumbsup.gif

I will have to research that and see what it looks like and what the difference is.

I just use sand from a local sand company but I know a lot of people don't have one in their area.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-silica-sand.htm

Please read this link. I believe you will find that unless your chickens are demolishing concrete or doing sand blasting without masks on then they should be okay in regular old sand. Silica is the chemical rocks break down into to create sand. Yep it's just plain old regular beach sand. Never trust information you get from a government agency such as the EPA, they have agendas. You can find other website articles that concur with the one the link takes you to. Just search silica sand.

;) :thumbsup

I will have to research that and see what it looks like and what the difference is.

I just use sand from a local sand company but I know a lot of people don't have one in their area.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-silica-sand.htm

Please read this link. I believe you will find that unless your chickens are demolishing concrete or doing sand blasting without masks on then they should be okay in regular old sand. Silica is the chemical rocks break down into to create sand. Yep it's just plain old regular beach sand. Never trust information you get from a government agency such as the EPA, they have agendas. You can find other website articles that concur with the one the link takes you to. Just search silica sand.

Now I did see my chickens out in the tool shed close to the sand blaster but I didn't see them actually using it. :lau

Thanks for the link.

So I had this nice question all typed up and my computer didn't submit it, and thus I lost everything. Blah! So, a very shortened version of what I previously typed...

I've read many posts about the type of sand to put in the run, but there is no real answer. Each person seems to use what they deem the best suited for their environment and situation. There are a few common themes, being washed sand, river sand, play sand, or construction sand. No silica or relatively low silica content if you can find it.

My situation... I have three types and not sure which to go with.

1. Creek Sand - (on the left) A local dry bed in my town I went to and scooped up some as a sample. I have no idea what it has in it. I do like the lighter color, so it doesn't get as toasty during our hot summers (Bakersfield, CA... already in the 90's). It's very dusty though, so not sure.

2. Rock Dust - (middle) Picked up a sample from the local dealer. A more coarse mixture, not sure if it will be easy to scoop the poo and not pick up a lot of the rocks with it?

3. Plaster Sand - (right side) Little to no dust. Also a finer mixture like the creek sand. Darker in color, so not sure if too hot on the little feet.

Anyone have suggestions? I was leaning toward the creek sand only because it's free, but if not, then maybe the plaster sand. I will provide my girls grit as well, so that's not a concern. Just not sure which to go with.

I am happy someone brought this up. My run was so muddy this morning that i let my hens free range all day. It was way too muddy to leave them in there while i was at work like i usually do! I have a cover over my run but the rain has been terrible and soaked the run turning it into stinky mud! I plan to get my hands on some coarse sand this weekend. I will post a report next week to let you guys know how i like it.

those of you who have sand in the run....is it okay to just cover grass with it or will I be fighting shoots of grass from now on....or will the chickens take care of that for me? I plan to box off the lushest area of grass remaining in there now, before putting the sand in, and let it grow with a screen over the top so the chickens can graze the tips. But - before I go hauling and dumping 20 or 30 fifty pound bags of sand I'd like to know if I can just dump it on the grass I'm wanting to cover or should I dig up the grass first. Thanks

My coop and run use sand. We get a dump truck load every couple of years. It's piled by the coop under a tarp. Very handy for using in any number of projects. I put sand on the poop boards so I am shoveling that out to the compost pile or garden beds all winter. Having a pile of dry sand close by makes for easy replenishing. I have both ducks and chickens. Both are thriving well on sand. The mud and odor are greatly reduced. In the run I will place a bale of straw for the girls to rip apart for entertainment. Their entertainment, not mine. Although I do enjoy watching them go at it. They disperse it all over the run. Then when I'm ready I just put a new layer of sand right over what every they've been playing in. I threw a large scoop of saw dust in there last week. They loved that. When I mow I will throw a bag of clippings in the run. They really love that. Then in a few weeks I will give the run their spring sand resurfacing again. We just love the stuff! I suspect that who ever should own this house after us and should they not use our coop, that run area will be one heck of a fertile area for future garden bed for someone.... But for us - its all about "the girls"....

those of you who have sand in the run....is it okay to just cover grass with it or will I be fighting shoots of grass from now on....or will the chickens take care of that for me? I plan to box off the lushest area of grass remaining in there now, before putting the sand in, and let it grow with a screen over the top so the chickens can graze the tips. But - before I go hauling and dumping 20 or 30 fifty pound bags of sand I'd like to know if I can just dump it on the grass I'm wanting to cover or should I dig up the grass first. Thanks

Just cover the grass or let the chickens have at what you are going to cover then once they take care of that throw in the sand.

So I had this nice question all typed up and my computer didn't submit it, and thus I lost everything. Blah! So, a very shortened version of what I previously typed...

I've read many posts about the type of sand to put in the run, but there is no real answer. Each person seems to use what they deem the best suited for their environment and situation. There are a few common themes, being washed sand, river sand, play sand, or construction sand. No silica or relatively low silica content if you can find it.

My situation... I have three types and not sure which to go with.

1. Creek Sand - (on the left) A local dry bed in my town I went to and scooped up some as a sample. I have no idea what it has in it. I do like the lighter color, so it doesn't get as toasty during our hot summers (Bakersfield, CA... already in the 90's). It's very dusty though, so not sure.

2. Rock Dust - (middle) Picked up a sample from the local dealer. A more coarse mixture, not sure if it will be easy to scoop the poo and not pick up a lot of the rocks with it?

3. Plaster Sand - (right side) Little to no dust. Also a finer mixture like the creek sand. Darker in color, so not sure if too hot on the little feet.

Anyone have suggestions? I was leaning toward the creek sand only because it's free, but if not, then maybe the plaster sand. I will provide my girls grit as well, so that's not a concern. Just not sure which to go with.

My 2¢ (based on many of the responses on this and other posts) would be to use whichever is cheapest/easiest for YOU! There is no RIGHT way... they are chickens, they live in the natural world as just another species of animal. And they are very adaptable, probably more so than many human individuals....
lau.gif

Personally, though fairly new at this chicken business, I use beach sand, personally dug up by me (and wife) and packed home because it is natural, plentiful, easy, 4 kilometers away (2.5 miles) and can be done quickly while walking on the beach enjoying the sunset. And I love it! It is so quick and easy to clean up after the hens and fits the wallet real well.

As far as the respiratory dangers of sand, I am more versed than most people. As a professional glass blower, having mixed and melted materials (largely silica/flint/quartz) for melting into glass from undergraduate/graduate school onward for decades, I have always protected myself well from the dangers of emphysema and the like. After 15 years of this experience I had a chest/lung X-ray done (for my peace of mind). The doctor stated that I had a small white spot in one lung, nothing to be greatly concerned about. He asked me where I had grown up and lived and when I told him that it was largely in an arid desert climate, he said it was natural and common. It is typical of one breathing in fine dust and sand particles over the years, that blow in the wind, naturally. With that in mind, I'm certainly not going to fret or loose sleep over what kind of sand the chickens (av. lifespan 7-9 years) need to be safe with or me with cleaning it.
duc.gif

The Rock dust would probably be on the bottom of my list, as with your picture it appears too coarse for easy and effective use. Just my inflated 2¢.
wink.png

I use builders/construction sand. You can get it from any builders merchants. Very cheap and I use it in both the coop and the run :)
I also put cinnamon in the sand as it keeps bugs away. Not that the chickens mind as they like to eat them but they are only ever in there at night anyway and would rather have no mites and lice etc :)

Can you add sand once the ground under the coop is kinda died out, what type of sand would you recommend and is it healthy for the birds?

Back
Top Bottom