Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Can you add sand once the ground under the coop is kinda died out, what type of sand would you recommend and is it healthy for the birds?

I would like to know this, too - is it OK to add sand to a muddy run or do you wait for it to dry out first? (Not sure that's gonna happen here anytime soon. It's SO MUDDY - YUK).

I am going to try it, the sand bottom. We are setting up my new coop this weekend hubby built it after seeing the one that I wanted for 1500.00 at William Sonoma. It is a gorgeous coop the one we're building 8 1/2 foot tall two story Victorian doll house coop. With a 5 foot by 5 foot play area for the girls. I never knew I would love chickens so much
love.gif

Well i switched to sand in the coop yesterday. When the girls tried to go in the coop, they all seemed scared of it and wouldn't go in. Bunch of sissies.
lau.gif
I had on of my Silkies that didn't seem to be bothered by it and walked around while the rest just stood at the door and looked. I finally had to coax three of them in and then the rest gradually went in. I haven't been out there yet to see what they did in it last night/today. going to try and keep them in there for awhile and let them get used to it. When you switched, did yours act the same way? One thing I have noticed is that they don't like cange very much. Silly things, just trying to make it better for them.

Well, I went ahead and put quite a bit of sand over the mud - at least now I can walk without sliding! Hope this isn't going to be a problem - putting it over the mud. We had a bunch of sand from where we moved the playhouse/chickencoop. It was underneath the playhouse for the kids sandbox. So it's old sand, but it sure did help the coop. Chickies have it pretty packed down already but it gives them something to scratch. Hard to scratch mud! We'll see how it goes...

When you switched, did yours act the same way?

When I dumped the sand in, wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow full, chickies had lots of fun. Mine don't seem to mind change - they are quite a nosy bunch and like to be right where the action is. Had to get them out of the way so they wouldn't get buried when I dumped it out.

It continually amuses me to watch them be curious. I tell them that "curiosity killed the cat." But THEY don't think it will ever kill a chicken. They are invincible!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Well i switched to sand in the coop yesterday. When the girls tried to go in the coop, they all seemed scared of it and wouldn't go in. Bunch of sissies.
lau.gif
I had on of my Silkies that didn't seem to be bothered by it and walked around while the rest just stood at the door and looked. I finally had to coax three of them in and then the rest gradually went in. I haven't been out there yet to see what they did in it last night/today. going to try and keep them in there for awhile and let them get used to it. When you switched, did yours act the same way? One thing I have noticed is that they don't like cange very much. Silly things, just trying to make it better for them.

Mine didn't act different at all. In fact it was excessively muddy when I did it so they loved it. When it is dry which hasn't been much lately they have lot's of fun with dust/sand baths.

I have been using sand for about 10 days now.... and I freaking LOVE IT!!! We have a dirt floor (with wire under), and several inches of sand above that. MUCH cleaner than pine shavings, less food waste, water stays clean.... I will never use pine again. Smells much better, too. And cleanup is quick - rake/sift (zip-tie hardware cloth to a metal leaf rake), and in just a few minutes, it's done.

Yesterday, me and hubby shoveled all the nasty pine shavings (with added leaves and grass) out of one of our hoop coops. It wasn't pleasant, but we had to do something. It worked fine in the winter, but come spring, the deep litter method became a nightmare. We already dug a drainage ditch filled with gravel around the coops, which did help a little, but the shavings were still staying wet. Now mind you, where the chicken coops are located is by no means a low spot, is not located near a gutter, and has never had an issue with water. We scraped it to the bare dirt floor, added horse stall lime, DE, and sand. Oh my word! AMAZING! This morning we got a horrible downpour, and the sand floor is so much cleaner and already drying out. Now all we have to do is fix up our other two hoop coops, rake up all the pine shavings that spilled out of the coop doors killing the grass, and clean the clumps we tracked onto our deck. What a mess pine shavings have made.

***I really wish when people scream the praises of the deep litter method, whether it's in these forums or in a book they would put a warning with it. I personally don't see how deep litter could work with a dirt floor. After the big mess in my yard, on my deck, and on my shoes, I highly recommend sand. I think the chickens respiratory system likes it much better, too.

.I have uploaded 4 picts showing my new coop. Several show you where my sand is going to be inside the coop. I have read some really good things about the use of this in the runs. We live in a sandy soil anyway so this just seems only right. Tomorrow I will use my hubby's truck and go the the sand from a local contractor. With that in, I will fix the waterer and feeder up on some pavers need about 6 more to finish...oh yea...some straw for the laying boxes and unless you can tell me something I'm missing ...I will go get the ladies. Going with barred rocks I hope...been told they were available...pullets. I need some feedback if you have any..LOL

Back
Top Bottom