Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Thank you, All!
I have read that playground sand and quartz were not good choices, and in trying to look for sand that's low silica…no one at any of the suppliers had an answer!
The local Bushel Stop said the Concrete Screening Sand had varying sizes of shell & sand. Then I had a *headslap* moment, and remembered my brother works for a concrete company! (DOH!)
He said the the concrete screening sand would get really compacted and hard, especially if it gets wet (and we live in south FL, so plenty of liquid sunshine!) but they did have masonry (?) sand, which was washed...

I will check out our local Home Depot for the construction sand!

Thank you, again!

Could sand be okay use in a ducks run? We have white Pekins if that helps
love.gif

We've almost finished our run enclosure, and because of all the advice here, I want to supplement the run 'floor' with sand.  It was formerly a swing set fort & play area, so there was some type of sand already down.  I guess depending on where you are geographically, there are different types of sand…or at least, different terms for the types of sand.  
SO…my dilemma is whether to use "concrete screening sand" which I was told is most commonly used, or should I go with a playground sand?  The coop is in the middle of the run, and the entire shebang is covered.  
What do you experts say?? :D

Check local mulch and landscaping rock places...so much cheaper! It is only $24 per cubic yard near me. $24 of bagged sand from HD is a fraction of a cubic yard!

My mulch place calls the sand I got "man sand," aka manufactured sand,

Hi... I posted this on the other sand thread but I'm posting it here too.... I need help... It has rained heavily here for 2 days... Some of the sand got wet... I've tried scooping out most of the wet part.... My problem is it smells GROSS!! I clean coop 2x a day and have never had this problem.... What should I do? What can I do? Luckily for me no more rain this week!!

Hi... I posted this on the other sand thread but I'm posting it here too.... I need help... It has rained heavily here for 2 days... Some of the sand got wet... I've tried scooping out most of the wet part.... My problem is it smells GROSS!! I clean coop 2x a day and have never had this problem.... What should I do? What can I do? Luckily for me no more rain this week!!

You could add some Sweet PDZ (stall freshener) .Granule form.

I put sand in my coop after an exceptionally wet spring and the mud was nasty smelly. Once I had sand the only time it smelled was when the chickens scratched down to the mud. Once summer dried everything out I never had the smell again. Don't know how long you have had sand but you may need to change it all out after your run dries out real good. Now I am relocated and the birds can free range daily which really has put an end to smelly run issues since the run is used only on occasion now. So if you can free range them it helps tremendously. Of course if you are limited strictly to a suburban backyard that really isn't much of an option. Good luck with the issue.

Check local mulch and landscaping rock places...so much cheaper! It is only $24 per cubic yard near me. $24 of bagged sand from HD is a fraction of a cubic yard!

My mulch place calls the sand I got "man sand," aka manufactured sand,

"Man Sand"
gig.gif

Thank you…yes, I will check - we have a mulch place down the street. I thought their prices were pretty steep, but maybe I don't know dirt! For the 'concrete screening sand' he quoted me $50 / cubic yard, with a $45 per yard delivery charge. My run is approximately 16' x 16', and I wanted to bring the level up about 3-6 inches. He said I'd need close to 5 yards

Back
Top Bottom