Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
where can I get the sand that is needed to make the switch? All I can find is what is called a remix it has sand and rock mixed in don't know if this will work

or if something like this would work

039645962510.jpg

I use the play box sand . Get it in 50lbs bag at Lowe's . It works fine. I wet it down sometimes in the summer and the chickens love it keeps them cool. I use it in the run and the coop.

Yes, what about summer when I walk on hot sand with my bare feet its well hot. How is it to a chicken? Would someone please ask their chicken for me? What about fleas? Please list all the PROS and CONS.

I have a fair size pen and if I put it in I do not want to take it out.

Thanks for your reply.

My education and career in Veterinary Medicine has taught me many things. One of those is that if things are hot to our feet it is just as hot to an animal. A normal chicken temp is 107 degrees. Hot sand or a hot environment can elevate it further. I live on the Gulf Coast where we have white sugar sand. It has been my observation that the sugar sand does not get nearly as hot as sand from the East or West Coast. Maybe due to the lack of shells mixed in baking in the sun...I don't know. Sand fleas have not been a problem for my cheeps. I regularly spread food grade DE over the sand. I also have a thin layer of fallen leaves on top of the sand thanks to the donations of my many mature trees. Maybe adding a thin layer of leaves on top would help keep the sand cool still allowing for good drainage.

I'm new at this so please bear with me and my stupid questions. We are building our coop now and plan to use sand. If I give them treats or throw in crickets or worms do I just throw it on top of the sand or do I put it in feed containers for them?

I love that you give your cheeps crickets. Mine get them daily. It's how I get them back in their coop after free ranging. The man at the bait store thinks I'm nuts because of it. I don't care it makes them happy. Do you buy or breed you crickets. I've been wanting to try breeding them but seems like a huge project.

The rain has been awful and I have been worried about cocci. After reading so many good things about sand, I finally added it to my brooder/chick pen.
1f413.png

Well I went with a mix of play sand and an all purpose sand that had little rocks in it. I'm sure the novelty will ware off soon, but in the mean time my girls are arguing on who gets to scoop the poop!!

I used mason sand on top of 2b stone. It drains nicely, and keeps the pen cleaner and odor free. The rain washes the poop down through the sand and through the stone below it. Although I am a new chicken owner, I copied my system after a construction engineer friend of mine that also has chickens. We both have our chickens on concrete lots Andover chickens are very happy with the sand. It's a scratching paradise. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom