Anyone want to help identify my new additions?

smokinyoda

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Western NC
I picked up 7 pullets the other day, and don't have much faith in what the previous owner told me they were. Supposedly all 7 months old, but not yet laying. This is what he told me they were:

2 white ones he called Colombians. Looks about right from google images I have seen. Just not sure which type as there are a couple different ones.
2 brown ones he called Rhode Island Reds which I doubt since the look nothing like my previous RIRs.
1 big yellow one he called a buff. I'm assuming he meant Buff Orpington, but looks more like a Golden Comet to me.

So what do you all think? Really interested in what the 2 Browns are since I'm clueless on them. Hope they are all good year round layers like my RIRs where.

I picked up 7 pullets the other day, and don't have much faith in what the previous owner told me they were. Supposedly all 7 months old, but not yet laying. This is what he told me they were:

2 white ones he called Colombians. Looks about right from google images I have seen. Just not sure which type as there are a couple different ones.
2 brown ones he called Rhode Island Reds which I doubt since the look nothing like my previous RIRs.
1 big yellow one he called a buff. I'm assuming he meant Buff Orpington, but looks more like a Golden Comet to me.

So what do you all think? Really interested in what the 2 Browns are since I'm clueless on them. Hope they are all good year round layers like my RIRs where.

Columbian Plymouth Rock
That's a Buff Orpington on the left. Pinkish legs, not yellow like most sexlink types have.
This one looks like an Easter Egger.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I hope they will all be great layers! Have read good things about the Buff Orpingtons laying all year. Not sure about the other 2 breeds. Time to do some research.

Can anyone tell from the pics if these are hens or roosters? Still no eggs and they were supposedly 7 months when I got them 2 weeks ago.

I agree with junebuggena. The Easter Egger could be an Easter Egger or it could be an Americauna. An Araucauna does not have a pointed tail like that and has no beard or muffs. To determine wheather it is and Easter Egger vs. Americauna, they both have pointed tails, both have beards and muffs, but the Americauna lays blue eggs while the Easter Egger could be almost any color, including the bluish tint, but is usually an olive color. The only way for sure that "breaks the tie" is the Easter Egger does NOT breed true, but the Americauna does breed true. There we go again. 'Merica!

They're all female.

From what I can see of the combs, they're just not mature enough to be laying yet. I don't know if the seller was off on the age, or what, but the combs need to be larger and redder for the bird to be sexually mature and laying. I think you'll just have to give it time, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom