Anyone with a coop attached to secure run NOT close the coop door at night?

My coop sits within my run (2x4 frame, 1/2" HW cloth completely covered, including roof and aprons). Pop door on coop stays open 24/7. I can partially lower the pop door "door" as a wind/rain break during winter. I'm at the barn before 8am each morning to open the run so girls can come and go since they free range in the barn, barnyard and barn pasture until about 7pm each night. Then they're secured back in the run and will enter the coop for bedtime on their own.

This is my coop from Tractor Supply; I always leave the pop door open because the run is covered in hardware fabric. But raccoons can open the flimsy locks so I fasten them with carabiners and wire.

* This picture is from a while back; it’s not on paving stones anymore since I found it wasn’t good for their feet - it does make cleaning up much easier though 😕
I just got this coop and run combo. I have it in a larger run so the hens can have more space during the day. The pop door to the coop doesn’t lock, and I had a similar question to your original one. Can I leave that open if the attached run door is locked? Would I need to put wire underneath it to prevent predators from digging in? I am brand new to this. I’d appreciate any advice.

I just got this coop and run combo. I have it in a larger run so the hens can have more space during the day. The pop door to the coop doesn’t lock, and I had a similar question to your original one. Can I leave that open if the attached run door is locked? Would I need to put wire underneath it to prevent predators from digging in? I am brand new to this. I’d appreciate any advice.

Putting wire under the run isn't good on their feet and can cause injury.
It's best to make an anti dig apron on the outside of the run. That is wire laid down and pinned down tight so predators cannot dig in.

Back
Top Bottom