Anyone with an early guess? pic heavy

JayDe

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Lithia, FL
I have 3 silkies who are 9 and 10 weeks old (hatch dates from Oct 5 and 14th). We are really hoping for 3 hens, but aren't sure and we know that we probably have to wait a few months, but its sooo hard to wait!

We have noticed that our Partridge has a walnut looking comb and is bigger than the other one with the same supposed hatch date. The splash and blue have smoother combs, kinda what I think people have described as a thumbprint? I was just wondering if anyone could tell by their feathering. The blue fights with my orpington roo (same age) a lot and I believe it's the 2nd in command even though its the youngest with the Oct 14th hatch date
wink.png
They all have vaulted skulls and are from B. Porto's stock.

Here are some pictures:

Blue hatched 10/14/09, more aggressive than the others, small flat smooth comb. I know you can't really see them in the pics..I tried:

38434_blue1.jpg

38434_blue3.jpg

38434_blue2.jpg

Splash hatched 10/05/09, very calm, smooth flat comb.

38434_splash11.jpg

38434_splash5.jpg

38434_splash6.jpg

Partridge, hatched 10/05/09, not aggressive, scared easily, flaps a lot when picked up..constantly peeping. distinct walnut comb. His head feathers are all uneven right now so he looks funny
smile.png

38434_partridge9.jpg

38434_partridge3.jpg

38434_partridge2.jpg

38434_partridge1.jpg

Also, how do they look....do they look like what they are supposed to at this age? I don't have any experience with silkies. Of course, they are beautiful birds to us, but who knows!
smile.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
Rodriguez: What makes it look like a cockerel v pullet in a silkie? Is it an overall look, something specific, educated guess? (based on what features?)

Thanks to all who replied so far. I really want to learn how to identify them, so please respond with specifics as to what you are seeing! Most of the guesses I've seen on other posts did not have a statement of why they felt that way. I appreciate the help!

On the partridge, he's got plumes coming in and he's "shinier" than a partridge female is.

On the splash, it's possible that some plumes are already showing up. I've also noticed that male silkies tend to have less feather development over their eyes than the females who have a "ball" on their head. The males have an advantage of a "sweep" going on.

Your blue one looks to have the "ball" instead of the sweep going on. Also, her comb is VERY well hidden, whereas the splash bird's is not.

BUT, the splash is the only one I'm "iffy" on.

I agree, the partridge looks like a cockerel, the blue looks like a pullet and the splash could go either way. The partridge has male coloration.

Back
Top Bottom