Anything other than grit?!

labelle21

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Hello,

This morning when I opened the back door to go and feed and let the chickens out, I found a completely shelless egg. Now, I think it must be from one of our new girls who hasn't yet laid an egg for two reasons.
1. Because it must of happened yesterday before I shut them away and I just didn't see it. As they were locked up this morning. And both the girls that already do lay each laid an egg for us yesterday.
2. Because this was outside my door and the two older girls are very good and laying only in the nests.

Anyway, I have noticed that when I put the grit into the food the two new ones flick it away whilst they are eating to only consume the food. In the case where will they ever get what they need to produce an egg with a shell? Is there anything else I can try and introduce to them.

Any help will be gratefully received.

This is what I found...

Thanks Claire. x

Hello,

From what you've said I would imagine that the birds simply don't need the grit. If they are free range or have space where they can collect their own grit they will. Furthermore, grit shouldn't impact the growth of egg shells but rather aids in the breakdown of hard foods (especially seeds).

Because of this, I would not worry about it too much. You can always throw grit down onto the ground (try to scatter it) and allow the birds to free-range consume it. They should only consume what they need and pass the extra grit as waste. Oftentimes, birds will consume too much grit if you feed it to them as a treat or independently from food. With this said, I would continue to place the grit into the food as a mixture (just check the ratio of grit you are mixing with food).

I wasn't sure if you were asking about the egg shell...but the first egg a chicken lays should be without a shell. Since these are new chickens I would imagine this to be the case and that she should start to lay regularly very soon. To encourage her to lay eggs in your nesting box I would place ping pong or golf balls into the nest to demonstrate where to lay.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your reply. That is really interesting that you say we don't really have to worry about supplementing the grit, I always thought we needed to. All our chickens free range so I suppose that makes a lot of sense that they will find it elsewhere.
I was quite shocked to find the egg with no shell. We hadn't had it at all with our first two, unless it was hidden it their bedding etc, and we just didn't notice.
Neither of the new two are showing any other signs that they are ready for laying yet ie, crouching and the crop getting redder. Will make sure I put some of my husbands golf balls in the nest (at least they will go to some use for once, now only if we can find a use for the clubs too) and hopefully that will give them the right idea. We will just have to watch this space.

Thanks again for your reply.

Claire x

Thanks for your reply. That is really interesting that you say we don't really have to worry about supplementing the grit, I always thought we needed to. All our chickens free range so I suppose that makes a lot of sense that they will find it elsewhere.
I was quite shocked to find the egg with no shell. We hadn't had it at all with our first two, unless it was hidden it their bedding etc, and we just didn't notice.
Neither of the new two are showing any other signs that they are ready for laying yet ie, crouching and the crop getting redder. Will make sure I put some of my husbands golf balls in the nest (at least they will go to some use for once, now only if we can find a use for the clubs too) and hopefully that will give them the right idea. We will just have to watch this space.

Thanks again for your reply.

Claire x
I would still supplement their feed with grit...but as I said before...if your birds have access to free range then they will collect most of their own grit. To be safe, I would always treat the birds as if they are not getting enough grit on their own...therefore supplementing with store bought grit.

Shelless eggs are common for new layers and can be a sign of failing health or stress in older hens. I wouldn't worry unless it continues. Oyster shell is what is sometimes offered to improve calcium levels for stronger shells. If you feed layer feed (and only layer feed) your chickens will get enough calcium. If you give "treats" and layer feed or use a grower feed, you should offer oyster shell or some other calcium supplement free choice. No need to mix it in their food.

Back
Top Bottom