Appeasing Chicken Hating Neighbor

tiffwilhelm

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 2, 2007
Northern California
We recently acquired 4 chicks, now pullets. Before getting our little girls we did lots of research, had the hen house built by the back fence/garden, checked with all our neighbors, etc. to make sure we were legal and good neighbors. Just a few days ago my husband was finishing cooping in the chicken run area around the hen house when a neighbor over the fence asked what he was doing. After he told her, she freaked out and said how she hated chickens and since we were to shortly be annexed from county into the city it is illegal, etc. and she got right on the phone to some authorities to complain. Her husband (a former rancher) knew we were getting chickens, but didn't say anything to his wife, obviously. I've been trying to make nice with her and we are moving the entire chicken set up away from the fence that separates our yards. I don't know if it will be far enough for her. I'm afraid she's going to make our life a living hell. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any ideas on how to lie low and not antagonize the woman? This has sucked much joy out of us. We love our peeping, soon to be clucking pullets!

At least you have her husband on your side. Does she really have NOTHING else to do besides bug you?
smack.gif

Maybe you can move the coop to another part of the yard, away from the fence you share. People on here have also talked about gathering eggs and taking them to the neighbor's house. Just make sure you're annoyingly nice!
big_smile.png

Geez, what a witch! I'm sorry I can't think of a way to persuade her to not make a fuss, maybe she's afraid of them? It seems like she's making a big deal over nothing. Since you aren't annexed yet is it still legal for you to have the chickens? If it is, I wouldn't worry about her if I were you. Just lay low for a while and avoid any roosters. She'll get over it in a while and may even forget you have them. Even if it is illegal after you're annexed you'll be grandfathered in. Maybe you can buy a nice dozen farm fresh eggs and bribe her with them?!

Time to add a little privacy hedge along your fence line. Hopefully what she doesn't see won't bother her. Hope you don't have any roos...
roll.png

Some people are just unwilling to change. I would calmly remind her of you right as a human being to keep any animal you wish. I don't know how much noise adult hens make, but at least you have no roos. Just tell her they may not be waking her up at 4am. I personally believe everyone has at least some right to farming. How else did our ancestors survive? They sure didn't have modern supermarkets with fridges, freezers and the ability to import food from all around the world. Even if there is no real necessity to have food source as close these days, it sure is nice to know what actually goes into your food. Especially if you plan on raising chickens on organic feeds
big_smile.png
Good luck. Maybe she'll give in and decide to be a good neighbor.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with you (or the chicks), its just something to complain about.
he.gif
Don't let her take your joy! You know you have done your research, feel good about yourself and stand tall!!! If anything, next time you see your neighbor tell them how excited you are to share your eggs with them!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
If you felt in a mischievous, pot stirring mood, you could tell her that you already talked to her husband and he had no objections. It would focus her anger from you for sure. Hehehehe.

I had a difficult neighbor (the elderly folks living back of my are hard of hearing I guess and have not complained about my two roos tee he he)...I let it be known that the city rules allow me to start work on my garden at 7am (AND I have a very creaky garden door) and hammering and (electric) drills make a heck of a lot more noise than the occasional crowing of my roos!!!! (haven't heard from him since)

That's a bummer...especially since her hubby didn't have a problem or the other neighbours...
I know how much stress that a complainer can add to ruin your fun...I actually had to have another heart surgery after having a miserable neighbour complain...
If you can talk to her or let her even look at the birds, maybe she'd change her mind...
I wonder if she's got bird flu, salmonella or even chicken pox stuck in her head...
The thing is, if you've already done your homework, then she's got no leg to stand on...
Let her stew and be miserable.

Back
Top Bottom