Apple cider vinegar water

I use about a quarter cup per three gals of water. I do it for two reasons: #1 is that it keeps down the algae which isn't a real problem during the winter but it does do a great job. And #2, I read somewhere that it adds valuable nutrients to their diets. Don't know which though. My nineteen Gold Comet pullets don't seem to mind it and I can't see it doing any harm.

It helps the chickens gut flora to be healthy, thus keeping the chickens immune systems strong. Its good for people too.

I use 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. Always use the plastic waterers, never metal (the acid leaches the metals into the water, not good).

I've been using the ACV for almost a year now and my chickens are very healthy and happy.
smile.png

We have been using Cider Vinegar w/ Mother (sludge on bottom) in it, and the chickens look GREAT! When DW brought it up I thought she was crazy, but I am a convert now - we'd gotten some frizzles/silky's from a local who we bought chicks from and they where looking rough and not in a molting kind of way, so on top of keeping them seperate and treating their issues, we began using the vinegar water and everyone seems to be doing well. Note, Raw Vinegar is supposedly better then the stuff off the shelf in any supermarket, I don't believe that but then again I am using raw vinegar here. Remember vinegar kills germs, here a nice link to pro vinegar side http://www.aviannetwork.com/articles/acvinthaviary.htm

In the end, I'd say if asked I'd suggest again and again, 100x's again because I can't argue w/ the results I've seen in overall health of my little flock

From http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

ASTRINGENT
SOLUTION

This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
(4 teaspoons/gallon)

The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

Hey Brownie,you are the only other person (other than my family) who calls the sludge in ACV a "mother"..My g-ma was Pennsylvania dutch and thats all I/we ever called that.Most people look at you like your crazy n do not know what Im talking abt. I put 3 tbls ACV in the gal h20 for my girls,they love it.I also read that ACV helps to remove warts and even those skin tags people get on their necks n eyes.Has anyone ever used it for a planters wart on the foot? Gonna try to get DH to give it a shot,cant hurt and the bottom of your foot isnt a nice place to have one~ouch!!

Mother is the common name for the sludge in vinegars - I've never heard any other name for it.

*The vinegar mother is cellulose substance made up of various Acetobacter, a very acidic strain of bacteria. The Acetobacter combines with the oxygen in warm air to cause fermentation in apple cider, wine, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar. It is the mother that gives the vinegar its characteristic sourness.

I use the ACV everytime I fill their waterers - two tbsp per 3 gallon pail, in the winter I bring the waterers in at night and clean and fill them for the morning so they don't freeze overnight, so they pretty much get fresh every day
Their feathers are so shiny and soft

To emphasize what vnploveschickens said, so it is not missed, DO NOT USE ACV IN GALVANIZED WATERERS. Acidified water leaches cadmium and other heavy metals from the galvanized coating and can become poisonous to livestock (or humans either, supposing that you wanted to drink lemonade out of a galvanized container or some such thing).

Pat

Back
Top Bottom