apple cider vinegar wormer for chickens

Thank you dawg53. I just never thought of (de)worming chickens until reading posts on here. I had 7 hens 3 years old - lost one recently with no signs of illness except tail down/lethargic for one day. I assumed it was the heat and did a thorough external exam after her death but was so shocked, I didn't do a necropsy before my husband buried her. Her vent was clean and there have been no signs of tapeworms - yep, I do check poop and vents. The girls free range my whole back yard and do have a dry/covered space although they only use it when it's pouring. What would you recommend for general (de)worming? Should I be concerned about tapeworms even if I have seen no signs?

I am just now starting to read about chicken getting worms, I am glad I found your thread. I had some of the same questions.

I live in Ohio; I am a new chicken owner, only having raised my chicks since May of this year. I have not medicated my chickens for anything thus far other than the medicated feed recommended for baby chicks. This past week I just started them on the round of recommended store bought feed.

I live in the suburbs and only let my chickens free range for about one to two hours a day, I use a sand base in the chicken enclosure. One side of the enclosure the sand stays nice and dry. The other side of the enclosure is exposed to the weather more often as is off and on wet and dry conditions.

I will take the advice on this post and seek out the products you posted and get my chickens on a de wormer regiment.

Questions - Does wet sand pose the same threat as wet soil when it comes to conditions for worms?

Question – Are there any other medication I should be administering to my chickens on a regular basis for disease prevention.

Also - I was listening to a chicken whisperer pod cast yesterday, the subject was on backyard chicken owners both medicating and/or the lack of medicating their backyard flocks for disease control.
They did not specifically say what should be administered or not, the discussion was more on the side effects of medication and the trace amounts of medication being found in the eggs produced by the chicken being medicated.

Question – When I do start the worm medication should I be concerned with the eggs from the medicated chickens?

There are very few medications that do not require a withdrawal period after giving them to chickens. The withdrawal time means discarding the eggs in the trash. Not feeding them back to the chickens.

The only medications my chickens get are Corid and the different wormers I use. I do not use antibiotics. Any chicken that requires antibiotics gets culled.

Our go-to guy on this site for medicating is Dawg. Casportpony is our calibrations whiz.

The following statements are my opinions (and are not to start an arguement):

1 - use chemical wormers for your chickens (DE and herbs have their uses, but they are NOT efficient wormers)

2 - use a labled poultry dust if you have a louse problem. Again, DE might be usable as a preventive measure, but DE will not work with an infestation.

yes i use this seems to work so far i only do it 3 times a month it also keeps the bottoms clean. in a 5 gal. i use 4 tablespoons of the braggs..

yes i use this seems to work so far i only do it 3 times a month it also keeps the bottoms clean. in a 5 gal. i use 4 tablespoons of the braggs..

As mentioned earlier in this thread, vinegar will not worm your chickens. The only dependable way to worm chickens is with a substance that is manufactured for killing worms. Safeguard and Valbazen are my favorites.

There is a chemical in pumpkin and pumpkin seeds that helps create an unfavorable environment for gut worms. I give my chickens a meal of pumpkin, buttermilk and cyanne pepper flakes once a week. I always add acv to the water. It can't hurt. I also do random microscopic poop checks a few times a year and worm in the fall.

Agreed that ACV is not a wormer and while I give my gals ACV, I also worm every 6 months.

I was told about ACV in their water by a friend who has had chickens for a very long time and some of the reasons he uses it are:
* It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
* It can act as an antiseptic killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.
* Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because I only have bantams who spend more time broody than they do laying
wink.png

Different strokes for different folks and the above is just my opinion.

Apple cider vinegar is a not a dewormer. It does have some other health benefits, but won't deworm a bird.

You're better off getting a dewormer like Valbazen or Safeguard for goats. These two dewormers can usually be found at a local feed store, or can be purchased online.
I assume these dewormers u mentioned can be used on ducks also?

Back
Top Bottom