Approx. how long does it take egg-laying to resume after stress?

BigSkyChickie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Montana
I recently acquired a flock of 38 birds, mostly laying hens with a few pretties and roosters thrown in. I also had 6 pullets and 1 cockerel to start with. I know adding in adult birds w/o a quarantine isn't ideal, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I got them on Sunday and had 2 eggs in the trailer we used to haul them in, and not an egg since. I'm sure it's the stress of being caught, transported, and introduced to new birds in a new place, but I'm antsy for some eggs.

Any ideas on how long it will take for them to resume their laying schedule? I still have them locked in the coop (normally free range during the day) so they'll know where home is, but they have plenty of room, roosting space, water, food, nesting boxes.

TIA for any advice, answers, or experience!

Megan

Well it really depends on the bird. When we got our 14 month old Black Sexlink, she laid four eggs for us, and then nothing for a month and a half. We were introducing new birds into our flock during this time, and after about 2 weeks of no changes, she then started laying for us.

We also aquired a 6month old Wyndotte, who took about 2 weeks to get used to us/her surroundings, and started laying for us too.

So based on those two birdies, I would say anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Just as long as things are less stressful and you arent adding newbies to the mix.

Good luck!

~Caran:|

Back
Top Bottom