Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
I had one egg that was piping for a long time, and I thought it was dead, but a little while later it was moving around, and cheeping. I had to leave, but when I got back I pulled the egg out and looked at it, and the chick was dead. It looked like what I have heard described as a ''sticky chick''. Now I have another chick that seems sticky, and I don't think is going to make it. What causes this? The humidity is between 70 and 80%.

coming to the end of day 21 nothing out of the eggs yet one has moved a bit more this eggs were my own hens getting worried had a 4 hour power outage on day 14.

fl.gif

I had one egg that was piping for a long time, and I thought it was dead, but a little while later it was moving around, and cheeping. I had to leave, but when I got back I pulled the egg out and looked at it, and the chick was dead. It looked like what I have heard described as a ''sticky chick''. Now I have another chick that seems sticky, and I don't think is going to make it. What causes this? The humidity is between 70 and 80%.

Sorry about the loss...I would think that many might say your humidity is high. I just hatched four of six shipped eggs w/humidity around 25-40% day 1-18 and then bumped to 50-55% for LD....
Hopefully the Pros will jump in here and we both get sound answers to move forward!

Just remember, chicks, broodies and roos don't count because they don't lay eggs.  Bantums only count as 1/2.  Make sure you all get your chicken math correct. ;)

Awesome. Thanks to your ingenious math I am back down to below 20. I feel WAY better now. Also, I believe there may be some sort of "allowance" for possible future predation. Maybe subtract another 10 percent or so?

Checked last nite, the australorp mix egg is viable! And the EE egg had spider veins, yayayayayay so so so so awesome! Get to check the bantam egg tonite, I am pretty sure it will be viable as well!

Today is day 19. Went into lockdown yesterday with just 3 eggs in the mini. These are pretty important eggs, though. Two are splash ameraucana and one is a lavender ameraucana. Drove to a local souce to pick up 7 eggs, but 4 ended up clear. I've wanted a splash for a long time, so maybe :fl . I have a blue marans roo, so hoping to hatch out a few olive eggers in the future and in the meantime, make my egg basket prettier.

Haha, I just reread my post and realize I was ASSuming I was getting all pullets. :lau

Last edited:
Next 2 rounds of silkies are in lockdown. Cuckoo and a mixed color batch in my backup styro. Day 21 on those. 2 zipping and eggs rocking but no external pips yet. The other batch is mixed color silkies in my brinsea. They just locked down last night but I'm excited to see how the brinsea does!

Back
Top Bottom