APRIL Hatch a long ......Anyone?

8 babies hatched

, 3 in hatcher in lockdown, and 20 in incubator.

My buff Orpington is sitting on two bantam eggs, ten buff eggs and possibly a silkie egg! We are on day 12! I am soooo excited but a little worried because hatch day is next Tuesday.... Does that mean I need to stay home from church Sunday incase someone comes early?? I don't know if that ever happens or not? I heard sometimes mama can go,"crazy" and kill the chicks! I don't want this to happen so I want to try and be there when they hatch, I am a first timer as far as letting mama have her own chicks.....any advise?

Quote:
I have had two hens go broody- 1 had wonderful results- the other not so much. Wilma hatched 5 eggs (1 was a dud). She left the nest 2 times, that I saw. She lost tons of weight. When the chicks hatched she took excellent care of them- better than I ever could. She taught them EVERYTHING. I swore I would never use an incubator. Next was Maisie. She left the nest box once a day, I understand, being cooped up like that, you need to stretch. She sat on 5 eggs. When hatch time came, she stepped on 1 and killed it, she left the box and another hen stepped on or killed another. In the end, only 1 lone rooster survived. She took pretty good care of him for about 2 weeks and then it was "Audios Muchacho!" Wilma was a Buff Orp, like your broody. Maisie was a Production Red. Breeds have a lot to do with the success- also personality. In my experience, the dedication shown in the brooding time reveals something. In the end, a hen is going to do what she's gonna do and you hovering and pacing probably won't change that. Mostly you can't see what's happening anyway until they peep their heads out. It's hard not knowing, but relax and enjoy- let her do the work and you look forward to some new fuzzy butts. Oh, and I have never heard of a chick coming that early- Enjoy Easter <3

Last edited:
I have had two hens go broody- 1 had wonderful results- the other not so much.
Wilma hatched 5 eggs (1 was a dud). She left the nest 2 times, that I saw. She lost tons of weight. When the chicks hatched she took excellent care of them- better than I ever could. She taught them EVERYTHING. I swore I would never use an incubator.
Next was Maisie. She left the nest box once a day, I understand, being cooped up like that, you need to stretch. She sat on 5 eggs. When hatch time came, she stepped on 1 and killed it, she left the box and another hen stepped on or killed another. In the end, only 1 lone rooster survived. She took pretty good care of him for about 2 weeks and then it was "Audios Muchacho!"
Wilma was a Buff Orp, like your broody. Maisie was a Production Red. Breeds have a lot to do with the success- also personality. In my experience, the dedication shown in the brooding time reveals something. In the end, a hen is going to do what she's gonna do and you hovering and pacing probably won't change that. Mostly you can't see what's happening anyway until they peep their heads out.
It's hard not knowing, but relax and enjoy- let her do the work and you look forward to some new fuzzy butts.
Oh, and I have never heard of a chick coming that early- Enjoy Easter <3[/quote]
Thank you! I hope we have a good experience! She has been VERY dedicated to sitting so maybe she will be good at caring for her chicks!

It'll be the 7th 24 hour cycle for me in an hour, I just candled one egg and I'm over the moon with how its developing! I'll take some photos when it gets darker and the girlfriend gets settled since she's just finished work.

EDIT: Couldn't wait, did a couple by myself.

SECOND EDIT: I did the rest, 6 fertile, 3 maybe (can't see) and 2 are a nope. I'll leave them a few more days. They seem to have shot away the past couple of days!

Last edited:
It'll be the 7th 24 hour cycle for me in an hour, I just candled one egg and I'm over the moon with how its developing! I'll take some photos when it gets darker and the girlfriend gets settled since she's just finished work.

EDIT: Couldn't wait, did a couple by myself.

SECOND EDIT: I did the rest, 6 fertile, 3 maybe (can't see) and 2 are a nope. I'll leave them a few more days. They seem to have shot away the past couple of days!
I waited for 10 days before tossing out the clears. By doing so I found 2 more that were developing that I didn't see at the first candling. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom