April-may hatch along all are welcome ^-^

Sorry about the delay in news, but here's what happened:
I was expecting 16 and only 6 were able to hatch. All were rocking and rolling around day 20, but the hatching happened very slowly and all, seemed to struggle. Most still had umbilical cords attached (separate from the vents, as I've just learned ;/) My sixth hatch happened on day 23 and my chick was partially clear under her belly. Her umbilical cord seemed too dark and infected. I kept her separate from the others, and cleaned her navel with rubbing alcohol. She did seem to be perking up after a day, but soon became sluggish and died :(
My five are all happy and healthy, so I am happy- just wish Id had a better hatch rate.
Reading a university study provided by another wonderful backyard birder, it may have been that my turning was off and that there was not enough nutrient absorption, thus weak chicks that seemed fine but couldn't break out in the end . . .
Anywho, here are my beautiful birds!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Photos aren't showing so I'll try again:

Torchick, the wheaten maran

Fergie, the Isbar

Emily Chickenson, the English Lavender Orpington

Clyde, the Buff Americana

Duck or Lacey or Lacey Duck (depending on who you ask), the Silver-Laced Wyandotte

And last but not least, the red-headed twins, Fred and George, both wheaten maran females that are 1 week older than the rest.

Fergie, the Isbar

Duck or Lacey or Lacey Duck (depending on who you ask), the Silver-Laced Wyandotte

And last but not least, the red-headed twins, Fred and George, both wheaten maran females that are 1 week older than the rest.
Sorry for you losses, but congrats on the chicks, they're cute!

-Kathy

Fergie, the Isbar

Adorable :D

I like the one named Torchic (but you spelled it Torchick for whatever reason...). Are you looking to get a blaziken in the future?

Last edited:

Here are a couple pictures of the whole crew. While I only had five hatch and survive, I stopped in to see my wonderful local chicken lady, who let me purchase a few more chicks to fill out my flock, thus the three chicks that are 1 week older than the rest.

Magic Birdie, sorry! My son scolded me as well! Torchic is the correct spelling, and yes, her name may change as she "evolves" :)

Thanks!

Candled my three duck eggs (day 11 today), and they are all moving :celebrate so excited now :D one is moving like crazy, and the other two are moving every now and again :D i candled a few of my chicken eggs day 4)and im happy to say i have about 5 silkie eggs and of the two i candled they are both growing :D i didnt candle all 48 eggs, but of the ones i did candle (about 20 )2 or 3 are in fertile one had the ring of death :/ and all the rest are growing so excited :D :celebrate :fl :fl :fl :celebrate :D

Back
Top Bottom