Araucana pullet or roo pictures please

cashdl

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2008
Willits
I would love it if those of you that have the rumpless and tufted ( non tufted also, purebred) araucana would post pics of pullets and roos at 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months and then give pointers on what color or gender they are and what you are looking at that tells you what they are.

I am trying to identify my various colors and genders and I thought it would be easier if those of you that know what you have submit pics and explain better than me posting a million pics evertime I get a batch of chicks. Then I could just refer back to your pics.
I am finding that waiting for them to crow or lay an egg is not as much fun as I thought it would be.

Thank You,

Lanae

Tell me about it. I have been thinking I have these araucanas and I was thinking the wrong ones. Look for green cheeks. The cheeks usually tell what color the eggs will be. I realized that 5 other of my hens have bright blue-green cheeks and they must be my araucanas.
J

Umm, green cheeks?

. . . Well to help you out, the first thing I'll say is - Look at the comb. That's the first step with Araucanas. The boys will get nice red, plump combs by 4-6 weeks of age. Then, their behaviors will show it. (dancing, crowing, clapping wings, etc.) As for color - There isn' t much to look for except in Duckwing or Black Breasted Red varieties, the females will look kind of like a quail and the males will have striking red and black, gold and black, or white and black marking, always with a black chest.

I recall that you have a cockerel who is yellow with blue markings, yes? Because that boy I have a lot of with that color, and the key with them is in the color. Females always will be drab blue colors, sometimes verging on brown, and males will be a flashy creamy yellow with blue hackles, spots on the chest, and/or saddle feathers.

Just say the word and I can show you some examples of what to look for in a comb or in the colors. What colors of Araucana do you have?

Hi Illia,

I have a blue and splash pen, no problem with the colors on those. The actual issue if comming from the duckwing and BBR pens cause they can throw an assortment. But My big concern or where I want help the most with is gender. I have a set of 2 1/2 to 3 month olds and because the girls are getting close to lay ( I assume ) they have red combs also. The ones that are obvious boys have bigger combs but not by much.

They almost all look like they could be boys or girls.

Lanae

Well that's why I was mentioning color - With each color you can sex them differently. Could you show some photos? As I mentioned, Duckwing and BBR based colors are all sexable by color, no comb redness required.

With the rest of them, at 2-3 months old the girls should not have very red of combs. They will be slightly pink, but not get fleshy and loud until about 5 months of age.

I just took about 50 pics and when I went to save the to my computer I deleted them instead, so I gotta go back out and chase them down again. ARGH!!!

I took my boy, girls to another breeder last weekend and we were seperating them by what he thought they were and all the combs looked the same, pinkish red, none bright red. Only on two was the comb slightly taller. We were also listening to their squawk when we picked them up.

He seemed to know what he was doing but I think I failed the class. Thats why I was hoping people would post pics of pullets and roos labeled, so I could study them for differences.

Lanae

Here's a cockerel at 4 months:
4918240566_dd69d0b005_z.jpg

Here's three pullets at 4 months:
4917639713_d4259531aa_z.jpg

Note the pullets have hardly anything showing, while the cockerel has a nice reddening face with a good looking comb. Now, the comb can be a tad smaller than this too, but not as small or colorless as the pullets above.

If yours are too young for this sort of difference to show, you may have to either wait or just sex by color of the bird.

If I did this right here are a few pics. By the way I love the duckwing pullet. I love the shafting. I hope all mine have that even though it is a fault I think it is prettier.

19098_3_month_splash_roo_1.jpg
this one is a splash roo for sure at 10 weeks
19098_3_month_bbr_roo_1.jpg
Not so sure about this one it is 12 weeks.
19098_3_month_bbr_hen_trio_1.jpg
The ones in this pic have all been moved to girls pens. The one in the fore ground is 8 weeks the two you can see are 6 weeks and the hidden one is 10 weeks.
19098_3_month_bbr_hen_1.jpg
This was the hidden one.
19098_3_month_bbr_hen_2.jpg
Hidden ones face.
19098_araucanas_8-21-2010_011.jpg
This is my double tufted blue probably girl
19098_araucanas_8-21-2010_004.jpg
This is my double tufted I think pullet. (I hope)

What do you think?

Lanae

Quote:
First one is a roo, yes.

Second one looks like a pullet.

The next batch of "girls" look so, except the one on the bottom in the group photo - That's a pretty definite comb there.

The hidden ones face looks boyish so far.

Congrats on the bilateral tufted one! I need better photos of the body though - Its color is sexable.
wink.png

Yeah, my duckwing is a gorgeous girl and sadly my only duckwing female. The shafting I do like on females, though it shouldn't be, but my boys look ugly with their black shafting. I really do want some Duckwing replacements for the boys. Ones with tufts.

Here is my two
19098_duckwing_pullet_3.jpg
duckwings the darker one is the one with the tufts the other is not tufted.

What are your thoughts on this one.
19098_2_month_brown_hen_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom