Araucana thread anyone?

Thank you both! Now I really need your help. I bought a group of chicks from a reputable breeder. I bought BCMs and one black Ameraucana. One chick started to look very different. These are pics when she was a couple of months old. Stacykins, I asked you about her months ago. I am sure you don't remember. This is her now. She doesn't have much of a comb. Yellow feet. She is about the size of my 10 week old Cream Legbars. These are her eggs. Very small, blue and white inside. The only chickens he has that she could possibly be is an araucana. Tailed and tuftless. Can you help? What is she?
When Araucanas are tailed, their body type looks way different... she does look more like a clean faced, tailed Araucana than an EE... I have tailed and rumpless, and she looks a lot like my tailed ones...
Thank you..... is it odd the egg is white inside?
There's a white membrane on the inside of the eggshell... next time you crack one open, scratch it off the shell and peel it back... the actual shell will show blue underneath it... :)

Yes I have a tailed clean faced Araucana, looks just like her. I have two rumpless Araucana and a rumpless black copper MARANS that I am gonna use in an olive Egger project. Is the rumpless gene dominate? What are the odds for rumpless when breeding 2 rumpless?

My MARANS :D

When Araucanas are tailed, their body type looks way different... she does look more like a clean faced, tailed Araucana than an EE... I have tailed and rumpless, and she looks a lot like my tailed ones...
There's a white membrane on the inside of the eggshell... next time you crack one open, scratch it off the shell and peel it back... the actual shell will show blue underneath it...
smile.png
Thank you, I see the shell is completely blue and I am completely red with embarrassment!
idunno.gif
My very first egg.

The reason I thought she was an Araucana is she looked exactly like this picture of a white Araucana pullet. She was just so different than all of my other chickens. I really do think she is an Araucana. The man does have Araucanas and he wasn't too happy he sold me a black Araucana chick for $8.

She is a small hen. Are they all small?

Yes I have a tailed clean faced Araucana, looks just like her. I have two rumpless Araucana and a rumpless black copper MARANS that I am gonna use in an olive Egger project. Is the rumpless gene dominate? What are the odds for rumpless when breeding 2 rumpless?

My MARANS
big_smile.png

Thank you Brat Flock. My power went off when I was responding to Ravyn Fallen and I didn't see this post. She is a great chicken, inquisitive and independent. Can't wait to hear about your project!

Yes I have a tailed clean faced Araucana, looks just like her. I have two rumpless Araucana and a rumpless black copper MARANS that I am gonna use in an olive Egger project. Is the rumpless gene dominate? What are the odds for rumpless when breeding 2 rumpless? My MARANS :D
Rumpless is dominant... depending on the lines, some tails or partial tails *could* pop up, but rumpless and tufts are both dominant...
Thank you, I see the shell is completely blue and I am completely red with embarrassment! :idunno My very first egg. The reason I thought she was an Araucana is she looked exactly like this picture of a white Araucana pullet. She was just so different than all of my other chickens. I really do think she is an Araucana. The man does have Araucanas and he wasn't too happy he sold me a black Araucana chick for $8. She is a small hen. Are they all small?
Don't be embarrassed, it's common to miss the membrane... :) Tailed Araucanas tend to be smaller than the rumpless, more streamlined... I'll try to post comparison pics for you later... doing errands right now, lol...

Rumpless is dominant... depending on the lines, some tails or partial tails *could* pop up, but rumpless and tufts are both dominant...
Don't be embarrassed, it's common to miss the membrane...
smile.png

Tailed Araucanas tend to be smaller than the rumpless, more streamlined... I'll try to post comparison pics for you later... doing errands right now, lol...
Thanks again!

Rumpless is dominant... depending on the lines, some tails or partial tails *could* pop up, but rumpless and tufts are both dominant....

Thank you! I bought 6 BCM eggs for $125 I got 3 chicks including the rumpless. Ticked me off pretty good until I realized I could use it as an olive Egg producer. I think it's a Pullet. I do have Araucana eggs coming from Sky Blue Egg in the early spring so we will see if I can get a Roo. I have a double tufted blue male but he is tailed...

Back
Top Bottom