Araucana thread anyone?

wee.gif
Congratulations!

Thanks Puddin Fluff! I should add that they are just 3 days shy of 22 weeks old.

It's pretty cool--I was surprised to find eggs. I knew they'd be old enough around Christmas, but I also thought it would be wrong time of year. We're also having our first bad winter weather now and all my chickens are offended by the snow, so they're staying in and getting on each others' nerves!

It's pretty cool--I was surprised to find eggs. I knew they'd be old enough around Christmas, but I also thought it would be wrong time of year. We're also having our first bad winter weather now and all my chickens are offended by the snow, so they're staying in and getting on each others' nerves!
We are pretty fortunate here, when we get snow it never lasts for more then a couple of days, I also raised the coop off the ground so even on rainy or snowy days they have a place outside to hang out.

I know I am jumping threads but my Houdan layed her first egg today!
clap.gif
We've been waiting and waiting. Our Araucana was first to lay at around 23 weeks I think and the Houdan is the last at 8 months. No idea what the delay was with her but I still don't think she knows what happened. She was drinking water and I turned around to scoop feed turned back around and an egg was rolling across the pen. No song, no squat, no unusual behavior. We'll see when/what happens with the next one.

Our Araucana is our smartest layer (I think). She refuses to share a nest box and will go to what ever one is empty to lay so she isn't shoved around. She definatly has her own personality.

Does anyone live in the SW Georgia/N Florida/SE Alabama area breed Araucanas? I told my mom thats what I want for Christmas, but we're having a hard time find some close by. Not looking for eggs, I want chicks or a pair/trio. I personally dont like the tufts, so I ont really care if they have them or not, but I do want them to be rumpless. I plan on going to the Lake City in January if anyone is going nd has some birds for sale.

I am in SC  about 40 miles NE of Augusta. Gary Ramey is also in SC

You are on the opposite side of Ga from me. Im about an hours drive North of Tallahassee, Fl in Thomasville. If I cant find anything local, I may talk to you about shipping chicks in the spring.

:goodpost: Ditto!  We are having a white Christmas.  Merry Christmas to all!
Ours was wet and stormy, 68* here, last week it got down to the low 30s, thats as low as it gets here.

Back
Top Bottom