Araucana thread anyone?

Hello all! Could this girl be entered into a show? My kids desperately want to put a chicken in a show, but we don't have show-quality birds. This Araucana is beautifully tufted, even more so than the pic shows, but is not 100% white and has yellow legs. Not tail, obviously! I don't need to WIN, I just need to not be laughed out of the show, for my kids' sake. Could she reasonably enter?

Yellow legs are correct on a white bird. I bet she is close enough that she'd do quite well in a show and that she'd be the only true Araucana there!

Last edited:
Yellow legs are correct on a white bird. I bet she is close enough that she'd do quite well in a show and that she'd be the only true Araucana there!
Won't they DQ them though, if they are not correct?
I Love her too, she's precious! But her owner wants to know if she will be disqualified at a show. I wouldn't wish anyone to be embarrassed, especially a child.

Last edited:
A few pics from today of Little Man

Little Man is buddies w/ his hatchmate Jaxom, but they are both boys so I don't guess that will last. I hope he ends up as pretty are Ari, and bigger.

A few pics from today of Little Man

Little Man is buddies w/ his hatchmate Jaxom, but they are both boys so I don't guess that will last. I hope he ends up as pretty are Ari, and bigger.
OK - WHO IS THAT BEAUTIFUL CHOOK IN THE BACKGROUND!!! Oh my goodness - what an awesome bird! Does it have a black skin? Wow! Just... wow! I have some black skinned birds but that one is amazing!

That is Jaxom, he was a hatchmate of LittleMan, yes he is a NN w/ black skin. Both these boys came from eggs from the University of Arkansas. He has changed sooooo much from when he hatched, he was all black w/ red tips to his fuzz, you really couldn't see the red unless he was back lit.

What would her DQ be? I'mnot saying she doens't have any - just wondering!! THANKS!
Her DQ if you entered her as a white would be that she is too dirty looking or not white enough. I would enter her in the AOV section as a ghost splash. Under AOV you can pretty much call them any color you want and they wont laugh at you. She is what I would call a ghost splash which is what sometimes happens when you breed splash together. It gets lighter and lighter till it is almost non existant.

AOV has a whole lot more leeway color wise than the listing a bird as a standard color although you can still get dinged if you just list her as a splash because she is not true to the splash color either.

She is truly beautiful.

Lanae

Her DQ if you entered her as a white would be that she is too dirty looking or not white enough. I would enter her in the AOV section as a ghost splash. Under AOV you can pretty much call them any color you want and they wont laugh at you. She is what I would call a ghost splash which is what sometimes happens when you breed splash together. It gets lighter and lighter till it is almost non existant.

AOV has a whole lot more leeway color wise than the listing a bird as a standard color although you can still get dinged if you just list her as a splash because she is not true to the splash color either.

She is truly beautiful.

Lanae
okay, new abreviation for me---AOV---please explain.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom