Araucana thread anyone?

A few pics from today of Little Man

Little Man is buddies w/ his hatchmate Jaxom, but they are both boys so I don't guess that will last. I hope he ends up as pretty are Ari, and bigger.
Kass,

You know I luv ya, but still OOOuuuuH! on the NN. I just can;t get used to those or the "show girls". Love seeing your boys progress however.

NN's aren't everyone's "cup of tea" but I love how they look. lol He and Little Man are hatch mates. Little Man is full of personality, very friendly, takes no bull from anyone no matter how much bigger they are. They are both still very young and I am looking forward to see how they mature.

NN's aren't everyone's "cup of tea" but I love how they look. lol He and Little Man are hatch mates. Little Man is full of personality, very friendly, takes no bull from anyone no matter how much bigger they are. They are both still very young and I am looking forward to see how they mature.
When we went up to get our eggs at UofA we arranged to have a tour of their bird pens. When we went in I looked down the hall and there was a NN that had gotten out of its pen and it was stareing us down.
ep.gif
I was surprised at how large it was ( and even more frightening in person.) Also the pen of naked chickens was very disturbing.
hide.gif
They looked like dinner just got up off the table and decided to take a walk! I don't know why but they just give me the creeps.

When we went up to get our eggs at UofA we arranged to have a tour of their bird pens. When we went in I looked down the hall and there was a NN that had gotten out of its pen and it was stareing us down.
ep.gif
I was surprised at how large it was ( and even more frightening in person.) Also the pen of naked chickens was very disturbing.
hide.gif
They looked like dinner just got up off the table and decided to take a walk! I don't know why but they just give me the creeps.
I have never seen the naked chickens in person, and as much as I really like the look of the NN, I have do admit the pics I have seen of the naked chickens look disturbing.

What would her DQ be? I'mnot saying she doens't have any - just wondering!! THANKS!
I'm pretty sure they have to be either a color variety that is accepted for that breed or for AOV, they would have to be a "recognized" color. Typical blue, the blue that bantam Araucana's come in, is nothing like this blue. I don't know if this pretty, light blue is a recognized color in any breed. There is the usual Andalusian type blue with the lacing and the self blue. I had some blues this color and I really, really prefer them but if you're going to show, you have to understand the rules. It would be so sad for a child to show a pretty chicken and be DQ'd right off. I don't know what makes this pretty "powder blue" color. The ones I had bred true. I could breed a black rooster to the hen and all her chicks would be the same color as she was, much like yours. Having tufts and no tail does not keep them from being DQ'd, neither does being gorgeous. They just have rules and if you bring something that, to them, isn't a color they have ever seen before, they will DQ it
That's what I've been told. Look it up in the APA rules

We actually had some sunshine today so I got out our Nikon and experimented with the 55-300 lens. Took some pictures of the Araucanas

This is my red pyle pullet, Opal: She is clean faced and rumpless.

I would LOVE to get some eggs from her, if you plan on sharing any this spring.

I love the Red Pyle color. Is she your only Pyle hen? She's just beautiful!

if you have questions about showing, you can go over to the heritage thread and ask questions. there's an actual judge, or two, who read/respond there.

The chickens who hatched this year have finally decided snow is not molten lava, and are finally venturing out of the coop during the day! I adore this laddie so much. He only has a little bit of bleed in his neck feathers. Everywhere else is clean and blue!
I can see why you like him - he is so handsome. :) Vickie

okay, new abreviation for me---AOV---please explain.
bow.gif
AOV means any other variety. If they have everything else correct for a breed standard other than color, they can be entered AOV. I just understood that AOV was supposed to be of a color that is already recognized in another breed and simply mixed up colors would be disqualified. I understand what Lanae is stating about AOV, the term "judge" is just that. The judges are free to interpret so some judges may be hard on disqualifying and some will let it slide so there is always a risk with entering a color unless it has a name so to speak.

What did you think of the U0fA Araucana's or did the NN scare you too much, lol? I'm like you, they sort of scare me but I think they're cool, just creepy cool. Did you buy any Araucana hatching eggs?

A few pics from today of Little Man

Little Man is buddies w/ his hatchmate Jaxom, but they are both boys so I don't guess that will last. I hope he ends up as pretty are Ari, and bigger.

I love your Little Man and your other rooster, Ari. I just cannot get used to a naked neck chicken. That poor bald chicken in the molting contest this fall was crreeepy!

There has been some talk about leg color. I notice your Little Man has greenish-gray colored legs. Both of my roosters that color have yellow legs. My red pyle girl also has yellow legs. Do any of my araucanas have correct leg color?

Vickie

Back
Top Bottom