Araucana thread anyone?

If tuffed, when do the babies show the? Is a tuff obvious in chicks? I sure would like to see some pic of babies.

Tufts are very obvious in newly hatched chicks, nearly as soon as they pop out and haven't yet dried off.

Here is an album with pictures of tufted chicks and non tufted. The younger pictures hopefully give you an idea of what you're looking for.

3wk

1wk

2wk

Ages are guestimates from off the top of my head but these pics started at less then 1 week old I know the first one was the one in my hand.

I just hatched two araucanas out of 12 and they both ended up cleanfaced and have a tail bone...I am so disappointed , does anyone have any eggs, asap as I have a batch of sweish hens on the way

I just hatched two araucanas out of 12 and they both ended up cleanfaced and have a tail bone...I am so disappointed , does anyone have any eggs, asap as I have a batch of sweish hens on the way
Where are you? It's been pretty cold here, I'm pretty sure a warmer would be required to keep them from freezing. I have a couple dozen eggs in the incubator now, some were set the 6th and some the 11th. You might be better off to start with started chicks, it's far cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
I'm in ohio....would u sell the chicks...I really wanted tufted birds
Everyone wants the tufted ones but they are still rare enough that it's hard to part with a tufted one unless there are faults. I have a double tufted/rumpless cockerel that I would sell to you. If you have clean faced hens, he would be perfect for them. His color and leg color are not standard but he's a start. I personally feel he would be best bred with white hens.
What do you actually have now?

I have 2 chicks gender unknown ... They will be black the are clean faced and have partial tail so they aren't very good lol

Back
Top Bottom