Araucana thread anyone?

I sure like that Joker. Looks like he has a great place to be. Nice duckwing boy. Wish I had some duckwing gals.
He will be sold or destined to be dinner so if anyone wants him they need to PM me in the next couple of weeks. I have the last of his chicks to hatch, 2 out now, 10 pipped and 4 not pipped yet. I am not using him again so he goes, one way or another. He's a character....can be a little ornery but not bad bad. I think we've nailed him down to being Blue Golden Duckwing, carrying Recessive White so he would be excellent for a white pen. His legs are yellow, and white is the only variety that has yellow legs. He does make very well marked duckwings ..BUT, they may carry the recessive white and that can pop out any time there are 2 bred together that are carrying it. I think the blues I just sold may have also carried recessive white.

I took some photo's of my rooster, Joker, this morning. He spent all morning avoiding me and crowing

and again and again and again,,,,,, lol
This went on all morning, Lol
That's too funny!!! Mouth wide open yelling!

Here is a picture of the one black pullet that made it through last falls culling. She laid her first egg last week.

This pen has my barred roo with one blue, one black and one barred pullet.

My second pen has the blue roo with three barred pullets. I will get sexable chicks from this pen. The solid blue and black chicks will be pullets and the blue and black chicks with white spots on their head will be boys. I trimmed some bum feathers last night. They have began laying much better this week so the hatching soon will begin!

Rumbull,

I love your statement " the one black pullet that made it through last falls culling". She is lovely. Most do not realize how difficult this breed is. I am doing good if I keep 5 from the spring culling just to be down to 1, 2 or none when fall rolls around and they are fully grown. Sometimes you wonder why you do it, then you keep a beautiful bird and think, " oh yeah, I cannot wait to get chicks out of that".

Lanae

Some chicks hatched this past weekend from the mixed pen.
http://s1106.beta.photobucket.com/u...m Poultry/Araucana Album/Araucana Chicks 2013

These chicks are all by Joker. The hens were a black with a bit of red leakage, 2 blue hens, 2 red/brown hens, a wild type BBR hen, then the white with black markings and the buff/red with black markings.

I have more to hatch starting this weekend, just a handful then a few days later, a bunch. I sent 66 eggs to a neighbor to incubate for me because I am out of room in the incubator. We'll split them. They were from my black and my mixed pen. I'll keep the blacks. These chicks will also be by Joker but because I moved him out and Rudy into the mixed pen on Jan 28th, some may already be by Rudy in the next hatches. I think I'll be able to pick them out, there is enough difference in their color genes.

Well according to the SOP for large fowl the late Mr. Reggie was the most correctly colored BBred rooster I have ever seen in the araucana. I would have been proud to have him if he had been large fowl. Truly a stunning bird.

What does the two you still have left look like.

Lanae

I got the three from Pokey, who has since gotten out of Araucana. I believe they were out of a mixed pen with a BBR roo. Reggie had a beautiful voice and he really was just an incredible bird - I tried really hard to get someone, anyone, to take him, but roosters are a dime a dozen in SC and very few people are aware of the Araucana here. I wish I knew who had her birds now, because I would either buy them out or grab a bunch more chicks/eggs in a heartbeat. They are hands down the best personalities I have ever seen in chickens.

The female is black with some red leakage in the collar; her comb is messy, more of a pea (all balled up) than a row. She is almost impossible to photograph because whenever she sees me she's either at my feet or in my hand. The other rooster is with my uncle now. This is not a good picture of him, but the most recent my uncle sent. He has a solid black breast and red hackle/saddle feathers and has grown out some nice spurs. I don't know that he's any particular color; my guess is that he is a full blooded brother of the hen, black hen under BBR roo. But that's just a guess, and I'm not really up to date on chicken genetics.

I am so happy you have some Araucana now. I agree they do have the best personalities. I have one little hen that requires that I pick up and hold her for pets and snuggles everyday.

Rumbull,

I love your statement " the one black pullet that made it through last falls culling". She is lovely. Most do not realize how difficult this breed is. I am doing good if I keep 5 from the spring culling just to be down to 1, 2 or none when fall rolls around and they are fully grown. Sometimes you wonder why you do it, then you keep a beautiful bird and think, " oh yeah, I cannot wait to get chicks out of that".

Lanae
Lanae,

You inspire me!

Back
Top Bottom