Araucana thread anyone?

Isn't she lovely!

This little black double tufted and rumpless pullet is out of my sex-linked pen. I am just starting to get a few chicks. Winter came back so the eggs are not abundant and fertility is hit and miss.
The new generation begins. This is an exciting time of year! I am expecting to get a few nice blacks this year along with continued improvement on the barred project.

Isn't she lovely!

This little black double tufted and rumpless pullet is out of my sex-linked pen. I am just starting to get a few chicks. Winter came back so the eggs are not abundant and fertility is hit and miss.
The new generation begins. This is an exciting time of year! I am expecting to get a few nice blacks this year along with continued improvement on the barred project.
What a beauty!
I hatched 13 black yesterday, 5 are double tufted. Going to be a lot of fun this year!

Isn't she lovely!

She is beautiful!
ep.gif

My Araucana pullet has been laying now for about 3 weeks.

This first photo is her egg on the scale. Believe it or not her first ones were itsy-bitsy-ier
th.gif

This egg is from one of my Easter Egger. She is a pullet from last spring and this is her "regular" size of egg.

These eggs from left to right by breed/ (size per weight scale) are:
Welsummer (med), Araucana pullet (peewee), Easter Egger (medium), White Jersey Giant (small/medium); and Black Jersey Giant (large).

Is this a normal size for an Araucana pullet or is this a banty size? I have never had banties or Araucanas so I do not know what a normal size is for either of them.

Thanks for your answers.

Ray N Debi
I was so excited, I couldn't wait for her reply, Sigrid didn't give enough information in her article so I have been searching for more.......(actually should be in bed now,,,early day in Endoscopy tomorrow) but I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway so I searched and found this information ( I learn something new everyday)

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E05A12.pdf
and
http://www.kuifhoenderclub.nl/page_eng/infodesk.htm you'll have to go down the page to New Varieties of Polish Bantams.

It listed Dun in Araucana's as a mutation.............????? So, where did it go? Has anyone here ever seen a chocolate dun Araucana? It was 1985 when Dun was brought to the Polish so it's not been all that long ago really.

There is also mention of it here.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/bantamchickens/message/1061

I don't know if it still exists in the Araucana but I would expect to see some chocolates show up if it's still in the breed.

Still yet, another view that states all that about the Araucana's having been used to bring Dun in, is untrue....
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/bantamchickens/message/1060 So what is a person to believe?? There always seems to be so much secrecy about what breeders are doing to make new colors. Sigrid is going on what she was told, I'm not sure she has anything to back up the information in her article but I have asked her about it so I'll share here if I find anything.

Al Westling is said to have created the Dun in Polish and he was from Kansas. I would Love to find him, if he's still around, and ask him. We may never know the truth of it but if there was a Dun gene in the Araucana breed, and it was considered so special that it was used to bring Dun to many other breeds, wouldn't you think it would have been developed in the Araucana breed? I am wondering how far these guys would go to keep secret, their recipes to make new varieties and if the Dun came from a purebred Araucana at the time, or a cross? Who knows :)

I LOVE a mystery......but I'm too tired to continue tonight. If anyone find more information on this subject, please post it and Thank You Ray-N-Debi for bringing this up ( I have to say that I'm still skeptical about yours being Dun but I would Love for you to prove me wrong!). I have had that article from Sigrid since she wrote it and sent me a copy. I was working to perfect my chocolate Serama's and she had asked me for some hatching eggs but I didn't think they would survive the trip to Holland. I can't believe I missed the part about the Araucana's, shows how in depth I read it ;) Duh!

Sort of on topic, chocolate.......one of my 5 chocolate Serama hens.
I have studied and searched for chocolates for several years. It's hard for me to imagine such a rare color would not have been preserved if it was ever found in the Araucana breed. My Serama's are recessive/sex linked chocolate but Dun will make a chocolate that looks exactly the same when it's heterozygous.

Very interesting reading! Would love to see you develop chocolate Araucanas!

Back
Top Bottom