Araucana thread anyone?

Its just sad because these big hatcheries know they are not selling a breed standard bird but they sell them that way anyway. Especially Araucana they are extremely rare where as Easter Eggers are the most common bird in the US right now, just not fair to people that are looking for the specific birds.

Anyone on here from the Co, Ne, Ks, Ok, Tx area that has Araucana hatching eggs or chicks for sale that could ship or possibly pickup depending on location? I got some eggs from a local breeder and it looks like they aren't fertile. I may try again from them but I'd like to know what other options I have. I love the little dimples chickens but don't have to have tufts since they're just mostly for eggs and eye candy.

Hi there. There is a place that sell day old chix up to 4-9 weeks old. They have an awesome selection 190+ breeds. Plus they have a back yard special you if you just want a few 3-5 or even 10 pullets. Check web site. cackle hatchery.com. Get a free catalog it helps under stand what breeds are good for what. Good cluck..

Hi there. There is a place that sell day old chix up to 4-9 weeks old. They have an awesome selection 190+ breeds. Plus they have a back yard special you if you just want a few 3-5 or even 10 pullets. Check web site. cackle hatchery.com. Get a free catalog it helps under stand what breeds are good for what. Good cluck..

Cackle sells EEs. I think they even call them EEs now. They are not Araucanas, they are descendants of an import from 50 plus years ago and were called improved Quecha.

Over the years they have been bred with other breeds to improve egg laying and egg size. They do not lay just pure blue eggs and will lay brown, green, blue and pink eggs.

Hi there. The original Araucana's from Africa existence is no longer with us today. So all we have left is what we have left which are cross breed for color and egg production. In other words all we have left is Ee"s. Thank God they kept the blue egg DNA going or we wouldn't have them at all plus having the extra egg production is awesome 240 egg's annually is much better than under 100 annually is what I understand. The breeders did a nice job and as for the other colors of egg's well look at those as a bonus. Gather up blue eggers only and desired color's and such of birds and keep what's left from the original Araucana's alive. The cream legbar with it's blue to blue green egg's are a great breed from the araucana have great colored egg's and a great bird and good same colored flock. Have a grateful day.
PS, I love those mutt chickens what ever they are. ;-)

Hi there. The original Araucana's from Africa existence is no longer with us today. So all we have left is what we have left which are cross breed for color and egg production. In other words all we have left is Ee"s. Thank God they kept the blue egg DNA going or we wouldn't have them at all plus having the extra egg production is awesome 240 egg's annually is much better than under 100 annually is what I understand. The breeders did a nice job and as for the other colors of egg's well look at those as a bonus. Gather up blue eggers only and desired color's and such of birds and keep what's left from the original Araucana's alive. The cream legbar with it's blue to blue green egg's are a great breed from the araucana have great colored egg's and a great bird and good same colored flock. Have a grateful day.
You may want to check your facts on the origin of the Araucana. They are not from Africa. They are actually of South American origin. Specifically, Chile. They are a cross breed of Colloncas (a naturally blue-egg laying, rumpless, clean-faced chicken) and the Quetero. I must respectfully agree to disagree with your interpretation of the Araucana as they are APA Standardized breed, and although the European standards are different, the Araucana is not a mutt such as the Easter Eggers are.

Last edited:
Aloha,

Easter Eggers are cool. They do have more and bigger eggs. But we breed true rumpless Araucanas, aiming for tufts and blue eggs often. Nothing wrong with Easter Eggers, just stop confusing them with Araucanas.....

Kden, Puhi

You have a lot of studying to do yet on the Araucana. The Araucana is an American breed, created here in the US. It is Not some exotic species. Simply a cross of the Collonca's and Quetro's with a goal to incorporate the traits of rumpless and tufted and blue eggs from those 2 breeds....... that are not actually breeds but landraces from South America that also share ancestry.

There are no blue eggers that I'm aware of in Africa. The blue egg gene was a mutation, the cause....a virus. All the SA breeds that lay blue or green (which is simply a blue egg base with the brown egg gene) were developed from the same landraces. The only other known blue egger breeds are in China and were proven genetically unrelated to the SA landraces.

The Cream Legbar was created using the Araucana

Back
Top Bottom