Araucana thread anyone?

Hatched this chick today, Dun Sumatra cockerel/Silver Duckwing Araucana hen that is tufted and tailed. Pretty dun coloring. This chick will be used in a project to make dun and dun silver duckwing Sumatra type with fibro genes. I have a nice Cemani hen with the dun Sumatra now, as well as the SDW Araucana hen is now with a Cemani that has silver leakage and looks to be birchen. This Araucana hen has been very versatile for my projects. I have 3 month old chicks from her and my Tomaru (longcrower) in the grow out pen now.

This is the sire of the chick. I will probably make some Araucana's in this color later. I put a good black rumpless Araucana hen in with him today that is gypsyfaced to start with. This cockerel has a wonderful, tight pea comb.

Aloha Ochocincas,

Do you vaccinate your own chickens? If so, where do you buy your stuff from and where did you learn how?

Thanks, Puhi
Yes,I vaccinate my own chickens. I had schooling as a veterinary technician so I'm pretty good with needles.
wink.png
That said, it takes some practice to hold the chicks with one hand and vaccinate them with the other. If you are interested in ordering, PM me and I will look up where I got it.

Unfortunately I have a very, very virulent strain of Marek's on my farm. There is no "let the strongest survive". I lost 100% of one hatch (yes, every single pullet died) and about 50% from the next hatch...still adding up losses on that one since I still have pullets that could become sick with it. It is really horrible watching your birds die from Marek's. Some can't breathe, others have seizures and die, others lose control of their legs and can't walk, and I even had one that suddenly went blind and couldn't find her food. With a vaccine available, I don't see why people would be against it to save the suffering of the birds. By the time you decide you need it, it is already too late and you've lost a whole season worth of pullets.

Ironically I do have a few pullets that seem to be resistant to Marek's. They are my Australorps and the Araucanas (either that or they are carries and brought it to my farm).

I truly wish everyone luck and hope you never get a fatal disease like Marek's in your flock.

Aloha,

I seem to have Cocci in one of my chick pens where a couple died. But the rest didnʻt. So maybe when I let them grow out, they might transfer their antibodies(or ability to make the antibodies) to the next generation. Nevertheless, if it becomes a problem then I might have to get into vaccination.

The Marekʻs sounds scary.

Aloha, Puhi

Aloha, 

I seem to have Cocci in one of my chick pens where a couple died.  But the rest didnʻt.  So maybe when I let them grow out, they might transfer their antibodies(or ability to make the antibodies) to the next generation.  Nevertheless, if it becomes a problem then I might have to get into vaccination.

The Marekʻs sounds scary.

Aloha, Puhi

Mediterranean wild oregano oil is proven to be one of the best cocci fighters there is. I've used it successfully myself. It does have to be diluted in a carrier oil before administering it.

Last edited:
This is Donald.
I think his color is just amazing.
I just wanted to post and make sure he actually is an Araucana, and not just a rumpless. He reminds me of my gamefowl, except without the tail.

Last edited:
Wow! He is beautiful! I have never seen one that color, but he has all the right characteristics. The legs are the right color. The saddle feathers look right. Comb and head shape are right. I personally believe he is a true Araucana!

This is Donald.
I think his color is just amazing.
I just wanted to post and make sure he actually is an Araucana, and not just a rumpless. He reminds me of my gamefowl, except without the tail.

Wow! He is beautiful!  I have never seen one that color, but he has all the right characteristics. The legs are the right color. The saddle feathers look right. Comb and head shape are right. I personally believe he is a true Araucana!

I agree, he is an Araucana... and gorgeous... I've seen the coloring before... think it is a mixing of GDW and Wheaten... I have an Araucana bantam who is similar, but think he is mix of GDW and Blue Wheaten, he has a blue chest...

Won't let me upload a pic, will try again soon... :/

Last edited:

well I am certainly glad to hear you say that! I thought so as well, I just had never seen that color before so I wanted to get some opinions.
I have been keeping him with a handful of my Marans hoping for Olive eggers.
So far I have hatched out eight babies that all look like this.

Back
Top Bottom