Araucana thread anyone?

Ok, how do you collect the semen to put in the syringe? Sorry I just had to ask. I know how its done with bulls, etc, but cockerels?

These are the instructions I found. It takes two humans and two birds. Each human gets a bird, face the birds toward eachother and stroke their lower backs firmly (this engages the reproduction organs) then when the roo is ready, the hen holder puts her down and puts the syringe to the roos vent and captures the semen.

There's a youtube on it, much simpler than that... single person can do it with a pipette... pick up rooster first, collect, then hen... can't remember what the youtube was under... someone posted it on another thread quite a while back as an option for a specific hen not being covered by the roo...

It's scientifically uncomfortable for sure... that's why I was originally asking about how best to help my rumpless' breed or if any intervention is really needed at all.

Just a dis closer I'm pretty much a split personality or something like that... Not the normal kind but a much more rare version sorta like if your playing mortal kombat.. There are different characters and same person watching the screen but just different (moves) personalities

With that being said what's the process with the rooster... Just curious is it like a horse where they have to be stimulated for a few moments(similar to some humans) or is it button like( pretty much as soon as he thinks the deed is being done it comes out(press the button and the spring is released))

I clip my hen's feathers if they are dirty. It seems like most of my rumpless birds are the ones that tend to get poop stuck to their feathers. I don't have fertility problems with them, but then again my rooster is not an Araucana.

Personally, I don't like the idea or propagating birds that cannot naturally reproduce on their own. It isn't doing the breed any favors. Look at what humans did to the English Bulldog. They can't breed, most of them need cesareans to have the pups, and they have a whole list of chronic health issues including severe respiratory problems. There comes a point where you have to consider longevity when breeding for "beauty". Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I clip my hen's feather if they are dirty.  It seems like most of my rumpless birds are the ones that tend to get poop stuck to their feathers.  I don't have fertility problems with them, but then again my rooster is not an Araucana.  

Personally, I don't like the idea or propagating birds that cannot naturally reproduce on their own.  It isn't doing the breed any favors.  Look at what humans did to the English Bulldog.  They can't breed, most of them need cesareans to have the pups, and they have a whole list of chronic health issues including severe respiratory problems.  There comes a point where you have to consider longevity when breeding for "beauty".  Just my two cents.  

I have a tendency to agree, that's why I brought up the subject. I have many breeds that free range together, roos and hens, so there is lots of cross pollenization, but the aracaunas are a breed I'd like to be able to hatch more true birds from. I am also open to getting my hands on the two parent breeds of the aracauna and hatch more that way....maybe someday.

I clip my hen's feather if they are dirty.  It seems like most of my rumpless birds are the ones that tend to get poop stuck to their feathers.  I don't have fertility problems with them, but then again my rooster is not an Araucana.  

Personally, I don't like the idea or propagating birds that cannot naturally reproduce on their own.  It isn't doing the breed any favors.  Look at what humans did to the English Bulldog.  They can't breed, most of them need cesareans to have the pups, and they have a whole list of chronic health issues including severe respiratory problems.  There comes a point where you have to consider longevity when breeding for "beauty".  Just my two cents.  

AMEN to that, from someone who had English Bulldogs. Everyone wants to breed for looks and not necessarily function. Same goes for horses... I have two mares that were bred for halter. Feet aren't strong, they stay fat on air and are pretty to look at but sometimes I really miss my performance horses and their ability to move and turn with ease. Seems like something in the middle would be better for everyone involved... But that's just my opinion :)

Having breeding standards that go against what's best for the critter makes us all seem pretty ridiculous and even cruel at times (double tufted resulting in death, bulldog ***** being unable to give birth to big headed pups so she needs a cesarean section...). It seems contrary to good animal stewardship to do what we do with certain animals.

Having breeding standards that go against what's best for the critter makes us all seem pretty ridiculous and even cruel at times (double tufted resulting in death, bulldog ***** being unable to give birth to big headed pups so she needs a cesarean section...). It seems contrary to good animal stewardship to do what we do with certain animals.
I totally agree!

It would seem that a great majority of Araucana breeders are taking a break from their birds. Does anyone on here have birds with a great colored egg and ones that breed true black 100%? I love chicken scratch poultry but I want something truly black...

Back
Top Bottom