Araucana thread anyone?

After reading the Tollbunte "recipe" I have been looking for others. Not that I have the time, space or means to create anything like that. It is very interesting none the less.
I found this regarding Mille Fleur...
To get Mille Fluer -

e wh -- wheaten down color. Wheaten/whitish colored female. Male Red/Silver hackle and saddle, with a black breast.

s -- sex link gold, we want a red bird, not a white/silver one. Now we have a Gold Wheaten instead of a Silver Wheaten.

Co -- columbian Removes the black from the breast of the male. Now we have a Buff Columbian. Makes males and females the same color.

mo -- mottled. recessive 2 genes required. This adds the black bar and white dot. to the end of the feather. Now we have a Mille Fleur!!!

Can anyone give more details on this "recipe?" Perhaps some steps and what you would cull and keep from each crossing? I think the pattern looks great on the araucana pictured early in this thread. Wish someone or several people were out there working on it so they would be available in the future.
99716_mille2002.jpg

Quote:
Hi Rumbull,

She was one of mine that I purchased from someone who got her from someone else. She never laid an egg I finally determined and passed her on to a home with lots of places to kick around in flower beds.

Karen Liguori ( not sure of spelling) is working on the Mille color in the Araucana bantam size only. She is making great strides I think. She had a roo at last winters Stockton show.

Lanae

A proper Mille Fleur, like a proper Tolbunt, is actually E^R/E^R

After that is Db/Db, then the more commonly known Co/Co, mo/mo, and for Tolbunt - Pg/Pg and Ml/Ml

But Wheaten works too; However not with Tolbunt. Lacing only works with E^R, granted there is Db, and e^b.

The fam wants me to introduce Tolbunt to Araucanas but I think it's a looong road considering how different Polish are from Araucanas, even if you do change the leg color, tailed characteristic, and crest.

Personally I'd love to do Tolbunts but apparently everyone else wants Mille Fleur.
wink.png
I like my lacing though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, but it's a small consolation for me; your state has all the really good soapmaking supply houses!

Last edited:
Quote:
I hear you!! I have to pay a dollar a bird every three months to do the 2 different A.I. tests and the S. Pullorum test. I have 300+ birds but only 160 breeders but, if you do the math 4x160= 640!!!!!!

Beth G. :

Quote:
I hear you!! I have to pay a dollar a bird every three months to do the 2 different A.I. tests and the S. Pullorum test. I have 300+ birds but only 160 breeders but, if you do the math 4x160= 640!!!!!!

Wow - that's horrific. Why every three months? I've never heard of this and I really don't understand the logic behind it. Or do you not keep a closed flock? That is the only way that I can see the every three months testing making sense. I have to admit that the closed flock part of the Certification program is very, very difficult for me to think about agreeing to.
Who comes to your property to do the blood draws? There must be plenty of qualified testers in your state if there are enough to have someone come out so often. Wow, that is just so much money to spend! Does it pay off for you in the end, do you think?​

Hi, I volunteered for the State of Connecticut Healthy Poultry Survalliance program. I didn't realize that when I did this I had to pay!!! The Dept of Ag sends out two testers to my house for the day. That is probably why I pay per bird I'm guessing. Last time the two of them were hear 6+ hours. I have a closed breeding flock and two different farms. I also have a strict Bio-security plan in place for my Breeding stock. I do not use any birds other than my own. But, I do purchase new birds for my other farm that is next town over. I go through alot of Oxine cleaner
wink.png
I also QT birds that I purchase for 4-5 weeks and if I show them I QT those birds same thing 4-5 weeks.

I guess I'm just stupid for signing up for the program and not paying attention to the cost
hide.gif

On a good note at least I know my flock is negative for AI and S. Pullorum now for over a year
smile.png

Quote:

Wow - that's horrific. Why every three months? I've never heard of this and I really don't understand the logic behind it. Or do you not keep a closed flock? That is the only way that I can see the every three months testing making sense. I have to admit that the closed flock part of the Certification program is very, very difficult for me to think about agreeing to.
Who comes to your property to do the blood draws? There must be plenty of qualified testers in your state if there are enough to have someone come out so often. Wow, that is just so much money to spend! Does it pay off for you in the end, do you think?

Back
Top Bottom