Araucana thread anyone?

You certainly have your hands full; that's a lot of organizing, keeping two locations operating. You have my admiration.

Sorry if I am just being dense here, but I still don't understand testing every three months - are they tracking other trends in your flocks as well? How long are you entered into this program for? I'm guessing that those testers are on some kind of state salary as well as the $1.00/bird fee because $160/day for a six hr day split between two people doesn't really go that far.....
big_smile.png

And yes, It must be nice to be THAT sure that your birds are healthy. I can tell you I wouldn't bat an eye at bringing chickens home from your place!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif

Your not being dense no worries.

There are several other folks doing it too. Uconn is a big State Ag college in CT and us backyard flocks doing these programs help them understand diseases in backyard flocks and helps regulate if there is a problem etc.... I'm in it for the haul. I'll do it for as long as they need me to to help science help us chicken folks here in my State
smile.png

Quote:

So can you translate the mille fleur gentics into a recipe similar to the tollbunte? I like the idea of using some colors already found in aracaunas rather than just crossing in another bread with that pattern.
Tollbunte Recipe
Year 1: (red)mille fleur x gold laced, sex doesn’t matter because these patterns are autosomal, the same on both sexes. Amount of animals: see for yourself, they are all carrying motteled but the other genes are impure. Red mille fleur on Wyandottes is ‘random, which means its only the action of motteled which causes the flower (red, black, white). It’s possible they carry columbian, but that’s only usefull. The F1 will be impure of e-allele, because you are crossing wheaten (eWh) x Asiatic partridge (eb). Chickens will have different down, document this.

Year 2: F1 (offspring year 1) cross to eachother (inbreeding), at the end of the Summer, select the ones with the best mottles, e.g. a cockerel and a pullet. Because of impurity of e-allele, the chicks will look different (pure wheatens, pure asiac partridges, mixes). The wheaten chicks will be yellow with a vague shade of red on the back, the asiatic partridges will have chipmunk stripes and the mixes vague stripes and some can have a black head spot (columbian).

Attention: impure (Mo+/mo) mottleds can show mottling in their youth feathers, esp. the cockerels. Therefore wait till the end of the Summer, when they,ve moulted fully. After thourough moult the white feathertips may disappear. The amount of animals: quite some, statistically 50% carries mottled. In reality this can be zero out of ten chicks.

Year 3: F1 from year 2 with mottling x gold laced. Offspring won’t be mottled, but does carry it. See Attention above.

The other way in year 3: Inbreed F1 from year 2, this can result in a pretty nice single lace. This F2 has variable mottling. Sometimes you can create something Tollbunt. This F2 is mottled in a certain way, it can vary in intensity and distribution. Sometimes with a bit of selection its possible to have a Tollbunte but remind the basis is very narrow. You can breed two lines from the start and mix them at this point.

Year 4: F1 from year 3, inbreeding, at the end of the Summer select birds with the best mottling and lacing. Technically, laced should be pure now as well as mottled. The Tollbunte Wyandotte could be a fact.

PS.
For the ground colour: in red millefleur there’s mahogany, this is persistent. When you want a golden ground colour, you’ve to breed a lot and cull hard, it will take some time before you can get rid of Mh. Another way is breed back to gold laced every time, and not selecting them sooner than the age of 1,5 years, when their hormons are in full blow. Hormons influence colour.

Tolbunt requires some red.
wink.png

Tolbunt also requires E^R. It can work with e^b too but that doesn't exist in Araucanas. And again, lacing - Not in Araucanas. So you'd need to introduce.
wink.png

Also, no such thing as Tolbunt Wyandottes. There was mention of it, but Tolbunt requires lacing. Those Wyandottes were spangled/mille fluer.

Just sayin'
smile.png

I did they said charging $1 per bird wasn't bad since the lab runs three different tests for collection of blood and throat swapping. They considered it a bargain
hu.gif

On the news yesterday they voted Connecticut not only on of the most expensive stats to live in but, also the unhappiest state too
sad.png
gee wouldn't have to do w all these extra fees one wouldn't have to pay if they lived elsewhere like MA
wink.png

Quote:

Quote:
It's great to have your brain to pick Illia!!! Thank you for sharing. I was asking about mille fleur?
So could you formulate the "recipe" for mille fluer in araucana? Does wheaton, sexlink gold, columbian and mottled exist in araucana? Or is not the correct combo?

Quote:
Yes dear, they are wonderful birds. This particular thread is the Araucana thread, focusing on the rumples/tufted blue egg laying bird. The Ameraucana, as you are speaking of, is a different breed entirely, same only in that they both lay blue eggs. To further complicate matters, any bird that does not conform to one of the accepted color varieties as described in the American Standard of Perfection is called an Easter Egger, or a "Production Ameraucana." We love them all! And each type serves to fulfill a different need in the poultry world.
smile.png

Quote:
It's great to have your brain to pick Illia!!! Thank you for sharing. I was asking about mille fleur?
So could you formulate the "recipe" for mille fluer in araucana? Does wheaton, sexlink gold, columbian and mottled exist in araucana? Or is not the correct combo?

Mottled exists in bantams, but not LF. Wheatens . . . I've seen a photo of a hen of Gary Ramey's labelled as BBR but she honestly looked Wheaten to me, I've heard of Wheatens existing, but I have no say beyond that.

But, yes, you can do Mille Fleur with Araucanas in Wheaten based color. Provided you find Wheatens and Mottled ones.
wink.png

edited for spelling, keep saying millie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom