Araucana thread anyone?

So many of you are so good at sexing I was hoping for a little info on my newly hatched Araucanas. Not sure if they are too young still, or if I should have put them in the "What breed gender am I section."
First my little tufted baby.
big_smile.png

09-25-11lightaraucana1tufts.jpg
09-25-11lightaraucana.jpg

The other light colored hatch mate.

09-25-11lightaraucana2.jpg

Then I had 2 that were darker. Here is the first one

09-25-11darkaraucana2.jpg
And the second darker hatchling.
09-25-11darkaraucana1.jpg

If any of the others were tufted would I have been able to see them already also? Thank you in advance for all your help.
wee.gif

Quote:
Adorable! Congrats!

And yep, they are waaaaaaaaaaaay too young for sexing. Tufts are pretty obvious like the ones in your first pic, so you'd definitely know and be able to see them.

Waaay too young to sex. The first and second are tufted, the second to last one MIGHT be but you're the better judge.
wink.png
If it has tufts now, it will be tufted. If it doesn't it won't. However few, very few, out there can be internally tufted.

So this week I got my first Araucana egg!! It is from a pullet purchaced from HinkJC and it is very dark and green which is exactly what she said it would be! It is very pretty and comes out of a clean faced, partially tailed black with gold flecking girl. I would post pictures of the egg and the girlie but the site wont let me...I also seemed to have lost my last tufted girl last night. I got home from work at 10pm and went to lock them all in and she was no where to be found, I searched a bit but came up with nothing. This morning I went out and all I found was white feathers strewn about everywhere
sad.png
I am heartbroken and a little bit upset with my brother who was home the whole time...

But on the bright side I have 16 eggs in the incubator from Beth G. and about 3/4 seem to be developing although I only candled once and it was very quick...I like to interfere as little as possible... They are due to hatch this Saturday night/Sunday morning...I put them in the bator around 1 am so we will see what we get!

Congrats on getting your first egg..
celebrate.gif

Sorry about your pullet..seems like a lot of us have lost some of our best chicks this summer:(
I also have eggs from Beth in my bator...I have 7 that are due to hatch 10/07. Out of the 10 that I got, 2 were not fertile, and had one quitter. 7 are still going..
big_smile.png

Good luck with your hatch!!
Norma

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks!
I also have 4 of my ameraucana eggs in the bator..all four are going strong. I can hardly wait for the day that I will have my own araucana eggs to set...shipping seems to do a number on hatching eggs..
sad.png

I have a month old ameraucana chick that I hatched from my own eggs..She? is doing great..just lonesome, since she was the only one..she's learning to use her new wings..flies out every chance she gets, and sets on the edge of the brooder, when I forget to put the cover on..
smile.png

frow.gif

Hey Ndoles and Kec5105!!! I'm soo happy they are doing well. Sorry about the few that were duds
sad.png
I have singled out who they are. They lost their saddles and by the time I got them back on I guess that made a difference.
fl.gif
fl.gif
crossed for both of you!!!! I hope you get some Lavenders in there!!!

Please keep me posted I can't wait!!
ya.gif

Quote:

Thanks, Beth!
Don't worry about the 2 not fertile ones...One other one was fertile, but quit after about 6 days. I am thrilled with 7 out of ten! If they all successfully hatch, it will be a great percentage!
I didn't know there was a possibilty of lavender...that would be awesome! I candled last night, and they still look good...there are a couple that are kinda dark, so it's really hard to tell with them, but I think they are still going.
big_smile.png

I will let you know the outcome.
Norma

Beth G. :

frow.gif

Hey Ndoles and Kec5105!!! I'm soo happy they are doing well. Sorry about the few that were duds
sad.png
I have singled out who they are. They lost their saddles and by the time I got them back on I guess that made a difference.
fl.gif
fl.gif
crossed for both of you!!!! I hope you get some Lavenders in there!!!

Please keep me posted I can't wait!!
ya.gif

Quote:

104186_2011-09-27_19-14-44_772.jpg

104186_2011-09-27_19-16-04_242.jpg

Hi all. I need someone to tell me if I am on the right track here...will ya all help me.

The above pic I am pretty sure will be a duckwing double tufted roo. Right? I have a clean faced hen that looks like him however her legs are pale yellow and his are really bright yellow. Now if I breed them together I will have yellow legs on all my offspring and some tufts and some no tufts. I want them to be willow legged though...right? So I could breed a green legged white to the offspring and end up with some yellow legs, some green legs, some clean faced, and some tufted....hopefully tufts and green legs on the same bird.

Okay so am I on the right track or just really confused?
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom