Araucana thread anyone?

He doesn't have any black. What you are seeing is extremely dark red. Think of the color of RIR ( not hatchery quality) or Buckeyes and that is the dark color you are seeing that comes accross as black in the pics.

He is throwing Red pyle type because he has dom. White, which is what you need to get red pyle.

Lanae

Quote:
That is splash based BBR not Red Pyle.
wink.png
Red Pyle has no hints of blue at the neck. Also, dominant whites don't throw splash birds when crossed with blue.

If your male was a duckwing or duckwing carrier with partial dominant white, he'd at best look like this in color-

4400763180_94a19ffd19_o.jpg

And throw solid white offspring as well as true Pyle offspring, no gray, blue, or splashy haze to them. The pictured EE was a heterozygous carrier of dominant white and threw loads of solid white offspring as well as white offspring with red or yellow leakage, no blue or splash haze. None of them were blue or splash.

Quote:
Extraordinary tufts! I have never seen them quite like that before, the way they sweep down the neck almost.

wow, just looked at the Araucanas on your web site. seriously cool tufts going on over at your place. How long have you been breeding Araucanas?

Don't know what to tell you Illia, but he has no black, only red and white in his feathers.

I don't know alot about genetics, but when I put in what I think he is, based on his coloring in simpliest terms ( red based, 1X dom white, crele barred) in the chicken calculator, and then show him bred to a blue hen. There offspring will be solid blue, black, or white ( I would imagine with bleed thru), and barred blue, black, or white, ( I would imagine with bleed thru) which is what I am getting from him when bred to a blue hen.

19098_9-2-2011_033.jpg

Now when bred to a BBR ( blue breasted red) hen I should get white patterned duckwing barred, blue patterend duckwing barred, and black patterned duckwing barred. Which is what I am getting but all splotchy. Like this

19098_4-30-2011_016.jpg

The above roo just got splotchy-ier as it got older.

Again since I don't really understand the various genetics involved in chicken colors, I use the calculator alot.

Lanae

Last edited:
It's been more than 300 post back but didn't both of you get your roos from Gary's stock, Lanae and Illia? I thought I remembered reading that early in the treads of this post???? So what ever they are, they are brothers or cousins of each other.

Last edited:
We have been raising them since spring. We got some eggs from a guy that has been breeding them for about 5 yrs but hatches several hundred eggs a year and culls heavy for double tuffs. If it comes out with anything other then double tuffs it gets culled. I will let you know how this hatching goes. We will be breeding DT(double tuff) this fall and spring how to see more of his genes going out.

Back
Top Bottom