Araucana thread anyone?

First chick of the year. I have set three rounds of six eggs one week apart. The first two weeks were complete infertility. Not surprised with new pullet eggs. Third week had one egg that was fertile. Hatched last night. Blue tufted chick. I believe the egg is from a pullet chick I bought from smooth mule and my blue roo. I will take a pic when it fluff out. I now have a separate pen for the cuckoo roo and three blue hens. Hoping to get some cuckoo chicks from him.

First chick of the year. I have set three rounds of six eggs one week apart. The first two weeks were complete infertility. Not surprised with new pullet eggs. Third week had one egg that was fertile. Hatched last night. Blue tufted chick. I believe the egg is from a pullet chick I bought from smooth mule and my blue roo. I will take a pic when it fluff out. I now have a separate pen for the cuckoo roo and three blue hens. Hoping to get some cuckoo chicks from him.

Nice! Araucana fertility seems to really pick up as the season progresses - at least for my birds. They are the only breed that is that way though - everyone else is majorly fertile right from the first time I set eggs.....
So, this is my third week of hatching pure breed chicks and not a single tuft. For four weeks before these pure babies, I was hatching out tufts left and right on the babies who were from uncertain roosters. Go figure.

Here is a chick hatched 2 days ago that I didn't think would make it. Five of six eggs set at this time hatched, three are from my chocolate project pen and those are all black, some of the cockerels will carry chocolate, gonna be fun figuring out who, lol

This one has to be out of the Birchen rooster I got from Lanae

That is a stunning chick.

Last year started the same way with a single lonesome tufted chick. Here it is...

Last edited:
I had given away a full blooded sister to my barred project roo. I asked the owner to save me an egg from her so I would have an idea as to the egg genetics that he would be passing on. I got a call this weeked and her eggs look great! The first three eggs starting on the left are from my pure araucana. The last egg is from the barred project. She was solid black because of the sex link barring in that generation. I am very happy with the results so far.

Good egg color rumbull.

Last weekends hatch was a dismal failure. I couldn't figure out why. My blue eggers hatched like crazy, but only 1 araucana out of 20 hatched. The only thing I did different was open the second vent on the hatcher. So I thought I would close it this weekend. Well so far I have 14 chicks ( araucana) out and close to 10 more piping, but the weird thing is my blue eggers who usually start hatching early are just now piping on day 23. Weird. Oh the other thing I did different this weekend, is when I was candeling eggs last wednesday in my incubator, I forgot to turn it back on when the phone rang. I didn't notice it untill that night when I went to move the eggs over to the hatcher for lockdown. The temp was 72. I wasn't too worried because it usually takes a while for the eggs to actually cool down, but apparantly araucana like a cooling off period before the hatch and blue egger like lots of air. I hope I don't have to get another hatcher to make everyone happy.

From my bbr pen eggs I have 1 tufted rumpless pure wheaten hatched and 2 split wheatens. From the birchenXduckwing pen I have 4 duckwings ( yeah no birchen this time) two are tufted, and 1 recessive white tufted rumpless. From my red spotty pen I have 1 tufted rumpless either recessive white or wheaten, two splash chicks and 2 blues. I have a couple other chicks not sure on color yet but it looks to be a decent weekends hatch.

I traded everyones favorite splash hen of mine to a friend for a brown duckwing hen. I am very happy. The duckwing hen was running with marans and was the favorite of the rooster so is a little worse for wear but she is a different color for me. The splash hen was beautiful but hadn't laid an egg in 7 months and my friend just wanted a big tufted hen running around and she fits the bill. When I dropped her off she started cooeing at him right away and fit right in with the other chickens. She had lived there before and it seems like she was missing it. She will probably lay and egg before the week is over. I hate her. LOL!

Lanae

Could you explain the "cooling off period" before the hatching for Araucana? How much and how long and when? Go slow with me... I'm new!

Good egg color rumbull.

Last weekends hatch was a dismal failure. I couldn't figure out why. My blue eggers hatched like crazy, but only 1 araucana out of 20 hatched. The only thing I did different was open the second vent on the hatcher. So I thought I would close it this weekend. Well so far I have 14 chicks ( araucana) out and close to 10 more piping, but the weird thing is my blue eggers who usually start hatching early are just now piping on day 23. Weird. Oh the other thing I did different this weekend, is when I was candeling eggs last wednesday in my incubator, I forgot to turn it back on when the phone rang. I didn't notice it untill that night when I went to move the eggs over to the hatcher for lockdown. The temp was 72. I wasn't too worried because it usually takes a while for the eggs to actually cool down, but apparantly araucana like a cooling off period before the hatch and blue egger like lots of air. I hope I don't have to get another hatcher to make everyone happy.

From my bbr pen eggs I have 1 tufted rumpless pure wheaten hatched and 2 split wheatens. From the birchenXduckwing pen I have 4 duckwings ( yeah no birchen this time) two are tufted, and 1 recessive white tufted rumpless. From my red spotty pen I have 1 tufted rumpless either recessive white or wheaten, two splash chicks and 2 blues. I have a couple other chicks not sure on color yet but it looks to be a decent weekends hatch.

I traded everyones favorite splash hen of mine to a friend for a brown duckwing hen. I am very happy. The duckwing hen was running with marans and was the favorite of the rooster so is a little worse for wear but she is a different color for me. The splash hen was beautiful but hadn't laid an egg in 7 months and my friend just wanted a big tufted hen running around and she fits the bill. When I dropped her off she started cooeing at him right away and fit right in with the other chickens. She had lived there before and it seems like she was missing it. She will probably lay and egg before the week is over. I hate her. LOL!

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom