Araucana thread anyone?

I am selling off all mine now and have about 50 chicks and more daily with all the girls broody. I do have some nice birds but none show quality as far as I know. My cancer is back this time with 3 tumors in 9 months since the removal of the first one. Surgery Friday the 13th and then I am done with it. My friend is supposed to pick up all the chicks on the 12 and is selling them in and around the Loxley to Mobile Alabama and surrounding areas at Farmers Markets. Sorry but I cannot ship, just not up to it. I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast if anyone is interested. I am selling 1 yr old 1 dbl tufted and 1 cleanfaced both rumpless prs for 40 and chicks straight run 10 ea clean faced and 15 tufted straight run. These are bantams

Also will be selling off all my Exotic Ducks as soon as they are done with the breeding season about June. message me if interested or send phone number if you want to talk about getting any of my birds

I'm so sorry to hear it's back. Sorry that you're having to sell your birds too. I hope you'll still hang out with us here and let us know how you're doing. I'll be in Louisiana, near New Orleans next weekend. If they were large fowl I'd be bringing a truck. Hang in there!

wow I have saved 2 chicks this week. either last Sunday or Monday morning I went out to the pens and there was a wet chick on the ground. I thought it was death but when I picked it up it peeped but it was cold. I brought it in and put in under the heat lamp and it is fine. This evening I pulled all the ground box nest to toss the eggs since my friend doesn't do well with newborn chicks so they would all be a week old minimum. hubbie had already hauled off a 3/4 full bucket of eggs( probably 100!!!) It was just getting dark and I was taking out the eggs from 3 more boxes and heard a peep some how with my headphones on. here I go pulling all these eggs back out of the bucket. I found it yeah!!!! I brought it in and put in the incubator. I am waiting for it to pop out any minute now. It's making lots of peeping and has zipped 3/4 way around the egg. It had been sitting outside in the nest box for hours and the egg was cold. I do believe the chicks are a lot hardier than we think they are!!!!

wow I have saved 2 chicks this week. either last Sunday or Monday morning I went out to the pens and there was a wet chick on the ground. I thought it was death but when I picked it up it peeped but it was cold. I brought it in and put in under the heat lamp and it is fine. This evening I pulled all the ground box nest to toss the eggs since my friend doesn't do well with newborn chicks so they would all be a week old minimum. hubbie had already hauled off a 3/4 full bucket of eggs( probably 100!!!) It was just getting dark and I was taking out the eggs from 3 more boxes and heard a peep some how with my headphones on. here I go pulling all these eggs back out of the bucket. I found it yeah!!!! I brought it in and put in the incubator. I am waiting for it to pop out any minute now. It's making lots of peeping and has zipped 3/4 way around the egg. It had been sitting outside in the nest box for hours and the egg was cold. I do believe the chicks are a lot hardier than we think they are!!!!

It is Easter weekend! I had a chick that hatched Thursday and it was nothing more than a (sometimes) breathing sack of flesh - limp, paralyzed, eyes never even opened once. I couldn't cull it and was waiting for nature to take its course. This morning it is up and pecking at food. If I didn't see it myself I wouldn't believe it!

Do Araucana chicks ever get equilibrium problems? I have a tufted chick 4 wks old that suddenly developed a problem walking and keeping balance. I don't believe it's Marek's as I've never had a bird with it and it isn't passed through egg. I also don't believe it's from injury. None of the others exhibit this problem.

I have a two year old hen that has been acting this way for two months. I believe it is a head injury from a particularly amerous(sp) roo. I did ask Kermit Blackwood (AKA Resolution) this is what he says.

Sounds as if she has Marek's. Dose her heavily with cranberry gel caps and raw ginger and omega red krill oil gel caps- unfortunately you have to catch this very early on to treat it effectively- banana and cooked oatmeal with soaked walnuts are good diets for afflicted birds supplemented with the gel caps

I still don't believe she has Mareks because she runs around and eats just fine and is actually getting better with her vertigo, before she could only roost on the ground but now she roosts on a box I but in the pen for her about 1' to 18" off the ground, but I figured this is an easy supplement to try.

It should work good for head injuries also.

Lanae

I had one Araucana hatch. Still wet and I'm already trying to figure out if it's tufted!!
big_smile.png

How long till I'll know for sure????

With some, you can tell when they're still wet after hatched. The ones with smaller tufts, especially if the tuft is the same color fluff as the rest of the head, can take 2 or 3 weeks before you notice unless you're like me and stare at them all the time.

Here is an obvious one, photo at one day old

same chick, taken last night

This one was hatched about the same time, these two pictures were taken last night too. Definitely hard to see the tufts.

Can you see it in this photo?

How about now? Not much of a tuft, but it is a tuft.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom