Araucuna issues

They are still young, no eggs shouldn't be worrying you quite yet. Sometimes they take their time.

Those roosts are way too low to the ground. Chickens like to roost up high. No wonder they went to roost in a tree as soon as you let them out! Give them a taller roost and maybe they'll be more inclined to go into the coop.

Also, these aren't Araucanas. Araucanas are rumpless and have no tails. They are probably Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
Thank you. your correct they're not araucunas I got the name wrong, which I keep doing they're cream legbars... apologies I keep saying araucunas. We've had this house and chickens for over ten years they've always perched on those, especially the heavy breeds, I'll see how they go but Ironically my husband has come in to say both the girls are now in the house..the first time they've gone in voluntarily.

Thank you. your correct they're not araucunas I got the name wrong, which I keep doing they're cream legbars... apologies I keep saying araucunas. We've had this house and chickens for over ten years they've always perched on those, especially the heavy breeds, I'll see how they go but Ironically my husband has come in to say both the girls are now in the house..the first time they've gone in voluntarily.
Well, they have no choice... Some might put up with it even though they're not happy so low, while others may protest and refuse to go in. Chickens are all different. Raising the roost will increase the chances that more chickens will be content and want to go in. These two might still learn to go in eventually even with the low roosts, but why not make your job easier if you can?

Thank you. I will speak to my husband about raising them. How high would you recommend
How high are they currently? The front one looks like it's touching the ground. I'd say you can leave the front one low for your heavier breeds, but higher than it currently is - so the front one at the height that the back one currently is, and the back one up to 3' off the floor. That way the birds that can go higher, will, and the heavier ones that prefer a low roost will still have one, but it won't be so low that it's almost touching the floor. And they can all use the front one as a jump off spot to help them get to the higher one.

How high are they currently? The front one looks like it's touching the ground. I'd say you can leave the front one low for your heavier breeds, but higher than it currently is - so the front one at the height that the back one currently is, and the back one up to 3' off the floor. That way the birds that can go higher, will, and the heavier ones that prefer a low roost will still have one, but it won't be so low that it's almost touching the floor. And they can all use the front one as a jump off spot to help them get to the higher one.
Front ones about 6/8 inches.. he's going to adjust them this weekend. Thanks for the advice

We've had this house and chickens for over ten years they've always perched on those, especially the heavy breeds,
No reason to raise them then.
It's not the norm, but if it's been working no need to change it.

I'll see how they go but Ironically my husband has come in to say both the girls are now in the house..the first time they've gone in voluntarily.
HA!
Like when folks come to complain about 'no eggs', and their birds lay the next day.

Back
Top Bottom