Are all different breeds different when incubated?

Jan 2, 2022
Texarkana Arkansas
Hi everyone! I am hatching some chicken and duck eggs, I’m going to have mixed breeds such as: langshan, cochin, orpington, Wyandottes, and silkies. When incubating do any of those breeds need to be at any different temperature? Or do any of those breeds need to be misted? Or can they all be at the same temperature? If so you then what would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I am hatching some chicken and duck eggs, I’m going to have mixed breeds such as: langshan, cochin, orpington, Wyandottes, and silkies. When incubating do any of those breeds need to be at any different temperature? Or do any of those breeds need to be misted? Or can they all be at the same temperature? If so you then what would you recommend? Thanks!
Nope, everything is the same for those breeds.

One more thing, do the egg breeds need to have the same humidity?
White eggs evaporate (exchange gas) slightly faster than dark or blue eggs.

Chicken and ducks don't hatch on the same day.. not recommended hatching together.. especially not with Silkies which are a bit more fragile. If they are being incubated at the same time, I might set the duck eggs early and then add the chicken eggs for the right hatch date.

Too high of humidity may cause drowning upon internal pip.

Dry hatching just refers to a lower humidity in the bator but does not always mean no water.. it's relevant to your ambient humidity.. and I DO prefer incubating around 35-45% humidity, being closer to 45 for white eggs. No spritzing required.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

My Silkies did hatch on the same day as my large fowl.. but some lines do hatch a day or two earlier than standard large fowl.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom