Are Australorps' normally skittish?

LeGardenChicken

Chirping
Jan 23, 2017
Australia
Hi there, I have 3 baby chicks which are 7 weeks old. Two of which are Australorps' are very scared of me although our barnavelle isn't and comes up to me but yet runs away. What is wrong? P.S. They do feed out my hand

It's hard to diagnose the issue, but my flock went through a phase at that age when they wanted nothing to do with me, then back to normal after a while.

Hi there, I have 3 baby chicks which are 7 weeks old. Two of which are Australorps' are very scared of me although our barnavelle isn't and comes up to me but yet runs away. What is wrong? P.S. They do feed out my hand

I have an Australop and yes she just does not like being handled or petted. Although when she was attacked by a dog she was very humble and sweet, now back to her old self but gradually approaching me more, especially when we go digging for worms, loves her food. That may be the way to entice her. I wouldn't say skittish, just aloof.

I have an Australop and yes she just does not like being handled or petted. Although when she was attacked by a dog she was very humble and sweet, now back to her old self but gradually approaching me more, especially when we go digging for worms, loves her food. That may be the way to entice her. I wouldn't say skittish, just aloof.

X2 on the "aloof" description...mine (I have one full BA and three of her mixed offspring, who are very similar in temperament) are also not overly friendly. They have other redeeming qualities, IMO, like being exceptionally good foragers and great layers, and high status in the flock. They're just not "lap chickens". At all.
smile.png

Every bird is different, but I do think Australorps tend to be skittish. We had two that were really skittish and wouldn't let us near them, but I will say they would just mind themselves and never bothered anyone. I wouldn't get Australorps again though, they're definitely not one of my favorite breeds.

Henny1129
I think it depends on the environment, she gives me a huge egg everyday, she is robust, good forager keeps herself well dusted no complaints just standoffish, would not hurt a fly as long as she is No 1 on the pecking order, mind you I only have 2, but I had 4 (they have passed) I haven't introduced more as it would cause her stress, she's my favourite. the queen, nothing wrong with that.

Henny1129
I think it depends on the environment, she gives me a huge egg everyday, she is robust, good forager keeps herself well dusted no complaints just standoffish, would not hurt a fly as long as she is No 1 on the pecking order, mind you I only have 2, but I had 4 (they have passed) I haven't introduced more as it would cause her stress, she's my favourite. the queen, nothing wrong with that.

It definitely does! Our Australorps gave us wonderful eggs and were fairly good foragers too. But, friendly factor wise, not the best. I prefer Orpingtons much more, but it's certainly a matter of opinion. :) I don't keep my chickens as pets, more as livestock (treated very well of course) so friendliness shouldn't really matter to me, but I'd do enjoy being able to pet and hold the chickens.

We've had 4 australorps. I wouldn't describe any as skittish.

1 - Hand raised - was not very friendly but then she changed and was a really lovely friendly chicken. Unfortunately a python got her at 4yo and the whole family cried.
2 & 3 - Hand raised - only 1 yo at the moment, semi-friendly. Will jump on my lap if I have food but won't hang around long if nothing is forthcoming :)
4 - Rescued from my brother only had her a month - Neither friendly or unfriendly.

They are hardy birds though and good layers - there will always be a standard place for some in our home flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom