are Buff Orps reasonable dual-purpose?

All dual purpose and purebred chickens are disappointing as meat chickens. Some are better than others; but they are all eclipsed by hybrids for size. The flavor of your BO's will be good, but you may find the texture stringy. Once you grow used to it, you'll find the grocery store chicken insipid and will crave your own... but, realize there is a hurdle for you to get over (as well as your family).

I echo the sentiment that there are some people out there working on meat birds which have none of the issues of the large hatchery Cornish Crosses. Freedom Rangers are simply spectacular, but the minimum order is 50 which may be impractical to you unless you have friends to share with.

Since your in Canada I will comment on this and make you an offer.

If you get a GOOD quality BO from very good lines they do flesh out very well and make a good table bird. If you are still interested in the spring I will send you out a dozen or so eggs from a BO line that produces 7 - 8 lb hens for the cost of the shipping. Roosters are averaging close to 11 full grown.

Quote:
Personally I like dark more than light meat; my husband, not so much so, but if he's not the one growing the chickens and cooking them then he doesn't get as much of a vote
wink.png

Freedom Rangers sound good except that I had understood them to be Wisconsin based and I am in Canada. Even if they ship to Canada at all then the vet papers for the border would still be a killer, price-wise.

Thanks for the various suggestions,

Pat

I have 13 BO hens and 3 BO roos that are about 7 1/2 months old. I ordered 50 straight run, but most of them died in transit. The cull roos were not that easy for me to choose because they all looked great. But, the ones that I culled I butchered myself. I skinned them out (just to try the skinned birds) and they skinned easy. The breasts were alright, but could stand some improvement. But, the leg and thigh quarters..... they were huge!! I was very well pleased with them. As greyfields pointed out, their meat is a bit more stringy than the grocery store birds. But, the flavor was wonderful.... not too strong..... not to mild..... just right.... IMO!!

I too like the dark meat. But, my wife loves the breasts. I grow the chickens and my wife cooks them. So, she gets more of a "say" than your DH does!!

Because of this, I ordered 25 Dark Cornish (not the sickly Cornish X) from Ideal Hatchery. They have decent leg and thigh quarters, and huge breasts. I intend to butcher all but 3. When those three get old enough, I will breed some of my BO hens with them. My hope is to get a Cornish Cross of my own that will grow at a decent rate and have rather good breast, leg, and thigh portions. Doing something like that is something you might consider to appease you and DH!

As for the egg laying, my BO's started laying at 20 weeks and 2 days. As I said, they are now 7 1/2 months old. In the last month the 13 hens have laid 298 eggs. That's an average of right at 23 eggs per hen in the last 31 days. It's also an average of almost 10 eggs per day. And, they are beautiful, large, light to medium brown eggs. I don't think that's bad for a dual purpose breed that is only 7 1/2 months old!! I, my family, and my customers all love the eggs!!

I don't think you will regret trying the Buffs!!

Robert

I must have the most untypical buff's. My girls don't want anything to do with anyone. Their like a bunch of roadrunners. Lean fast and ornery.

I wouldn't mind eating them.

I'm sick of chasing them around the yard!

Unusual for a Buff to be lean for sure. Mind you I am used to dealing with SQ lines and not Hatchery stock.

I have always found them to be calm birds. But much like any other animals characteristics can be bred in or out.

I had two Buff Orpington cockrels thrown in with my straight run egg layers order this spring from McMurrary. They both had to be culled early due to aggressivness. I thought the taste was wonderfull but the breasts were very small. Legs and theighs were decent.
wink.png

Mick

Last edited:
All extra roo's go to freezer camp here. My buff orps included. Good eating....not nearly as big as a meat bird but a fine table bird all the same.

I bought orpingtons, australorps, cochins and chanteclers with the intention they be dual purpose and winter hardy. The only one I consider to have a difference is the chantecler. The meat is a little darker but very tasty.

Just my opinion.

Julie

Quote:
Oooo, wow, would you really? That would be terrific, and while I appreciate your generous offer I would be happy to pay for the eggs too. That would be so much better than playing hatchery roulette! Let me know when you have eggs available next spring (and when it's warm enough to mail them - I have no idea what kind of weather is required!)

Thanks so much,

Pat

No problems. No need to pay for eggs. I will email you later today. Keep my email address just in case I forget and remind me in the new year. Once we hit the point of temps being over about 8 c it is safe to ship.

If you are into odd chickens I may be able to throw in some Araucana eggs.

I've had Buff Orp's in the past and I think you'd become so attached to them, it would be hard to butcher them. Mine were like puppies, followed me everywhere, untied my boot laces, napped on my lap and came running to my truck when I got home from work. I had a hard time selling mine but, I got a very good price for them and at the time I needed the extra room. Plan on getting some more come spring and I plan on these being here as long as they live!

Back
Top Bottom