Are certain breeds more cold/winter hardy?

MIgardengal

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Way UP north MI
The hubby and I have been contemplating getting chickens or ducks for a year or so. The reasons, we are animal lovers, eat tons of eggs, want them to eat bad bugs (the green cabbage caterpillars!), make nice fertilizer, etc.

I had chickens growing up...

Our issue: We live in a small city (3,000 ppl) and though we have a large double lot with a huge garden the city commission is pretty hard headed about having “poultry”. ( I guess someone over did it before and had like 25 birds in city limits. ) All they allow is 1 “pet, not for poultry use” per person. So between the hubby and I we can have 2total, and if we push the boundary 3 chickens.

So there is no issue, having a couple of pet chickens in summer. But winter is what is holding us back. We live on the shore of Lake Superior in northern MI. Lots of lake effect snow temps avg 10-25 degrees in winter. Obviously we will have the run attached to our shed, so they can have shelter. But we are wondering...

Are certain breeds more hardy? I know some like silkie, Pekin or Brahma have more feathers. Does this make them hardier? Are ducks better in cold weather than chickens?

I live on the lake too. You're fine with most breeds that are;

A) Not too small
B) Do not have extra large single combs
C) Have good moisture resistance if your run isn't well sheltered

Chickens that are too small have some trouble maintaining body temps. Their surface area to mass ratio just isn't as good. So go for large fowl if you can, or sturdier breeds.

Extra large single combs, especially on roosters, get frostbite sometimes. I've never had any problem with my hens but a big combed rooster is at risk, especially if they're a very light breed.

Chickens with feather legs turn into chickens with mud and snow legs. Chickens without oily guard feathers become chickens with wet mats in our weather.

With these things in mind... If you heat your coop and protect your run well enough you can get away with keeping whatever. But heating your coop can be dangerous. I know someone whose coop burned down with the chickens inside. Other people lose birds when the power goes out and they're not well acclimated to the sudden temperature changes. With your temps, selecting any number of chickens that don't fall into the above will make sure they're safe and secure.

So like, I've had leghorns (some frostbit on the combs), australorps, easter eggers, ISA browns, orpingtons, ameraucanas, cornish crosses, barred rocks and Rhode Island Red. All LF, the only one that had problems with the cold were the leghorns. You've got a LOT of options open to you.

This a great chart that's been helpful to me. I've found it strange that all the information on breeds isn't compiled into one location. So here's what I've used:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/chicken-chart
https://info.mannapro.com/hs-fs/hub...pdf/docs/manna_pro_chicken_breeds_chart__.pdf
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/chicken-breeds/#perfect-breed

and of course, the murray mcmurray website but you have to click on "quick stats" to get just the most basic information. Not very helpful, really, so I research elsewhere and order from them.

Back
Top Bottom