Cold Hardy chicken breeds suggestions?

Pics

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
My mom threw the task of finding the right breeds for us. The main things we need is are cold hardy, kid friendly and dual purpose as egg and meat birds. Plus Breeds that give Medium-Large eggs only.

I have done some of my own research and the one breed that stands out is Black Australorps (I fell in love with them). Were planning on two-three different breeds. Depending on what we get from them. (Future expansion for many more breeds later on so the list won't go to waste). And the one sad thing that throws me off is she said she wants unique looking chickens. Apparently she doesnt like red chickens? lol

What were looking for

A breed for white eggs. (My mom wants a breed just for those)
Breeds known for a lot of eggs.
Brown egg breeds are also wanted.

She wants to eventually get an incubator for hatching eggs so I don't think it really matters if the chickens are capable of hatching their own or not. Unless she tells me to I will probably be collecting all the eggs everyday. Rather than letting them sit and try hatching them.

I really like my Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. The breed originated in Switzerland, so they are cold hardy. They lay large white eggs and are excellent layers.
They are quirky and cute as well. I have the silver spangled color.
9A2C718A-18F2-4F1D-A62B-9BAEFA9A5ED6.jpeg A9D02989-AFF4-4492-A600-00B1154D4B4E.jpeg

I adore Australorps, so I'm a little biased. :)

First thing, https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/go-ahead-pick-the-prettiest-chickens.76277/

That said, several years ago when I was compiling my list of heat-tolerant chickens, a friend asked me to make a list of cold-tolerant breeds for her and I still have the document I wrote for her:

This listing is neither exhaustive nor sorted in order, I’m just getting them down so I can make notes about each. The important things for cold-hardy chickens are small combs, heavy feathering, and large body size -- at least two of the three. Some people say that foot feathers are helpful for insulation. Others say that they’re undesirable because they collect snow and ice. How wet the snow is makes a difference there. Foot feathers and mud are a bad combination but they’re fine in wet weather on sandy, well-drained land.

Small-combed breeds:

Brahma -- Strangely, these chickens are remarkably heat tolerant as well as cold tolerant. The roosters are noted for their calm temperaments -- gentle giants.

Wyandotte -- Known among backyard chicken keepers as particularly cold-hardy to the point that they can’t be kept in hot areas like I live in.

Dominique -- Hardy and all-purpose but on the small side.

Buckeye -- Specifically bred as farm birds for the midwest with cold-tolerance a major selection factor.

Plymouth Rock (medium-small) -- America’s all-around chicken

Welsummer (medium-small) -- Mostly raised for their very dark brown eggs.

Heavy-feathered breeds:

Brahma (with foot feathers)

Orpington -- A British favorite, general purpose chicken

Australorp -- An Orpington strain selected for egg production

Wyandotte

Plymouth Rock

Rhode Island Red -- General purpose chicken. The combs can be subject to frostbite

Langshan (with foot feathers) -- Noted for their unique look.

Faverolles (with foot feathers) -- Now raised mostly for its looks, originated in France as a superior table bird.

Dominique

Buckeye

Large-bodied breeds:

Brahma

Orpington

Faverolle

Langshan

Plymouth Rock

Buckeye (medium-large)

Wyandotte (medium-large)

Buckeyes and Wyandottes were specifically bred for cold-hardiness.

Icelandic Landrace

Note: I do have a couple Silver-Laced Wyandottes for a breeding project. They do tolerate my summers, but they struggle more than my other birds.

I hope this list is helpful for you.

while i love my oriental gamefowl; cubalayas, asils, and brazilians, their winter laying leaves me breakfastless quite often. they are winter hardy and are good to about 0 degrees. i am thinking of ordering some brown egg layer breeds, pullets only. 6 dominiques, 6 black australorps, 6 bielefelders, and 7 rhode island reds. i plan to raise them to almost egg laying age and keeping the best 2 of each breed for my winter layers. selling the rest will more than pay for my order and i can keep them 2 years, sell them , and start over again. thoughts or comments. dominiques were my first chickens 40+ years ago

i plan to raise them to almost egg laying age and keeping the best 2 of each breed for my winter layers. selling the rest will more than pay for my order and i can keep them 2 years, sell them , and start over again.

I'm having good luck with this plan.

For some reason I can't seem to sell chicks and cockerels are hit-or-miss, but I can reliably sell POL pullets and didn't have much trouble selling mature hens (with full disclosure on their age).

All this help was fantastic! Appenzeller Spitzhaubens look so funky! My mother and I laughed so much seeing them. We continued doing more research while keeping all the suggestions in mind.

Our main purpose for chickens is eggs. I don't think theres any plans to cull for meat till 3 years or more. And that may only be if theres to many roosters. Depends on if my mom decides unsexed. Anyways our breeds have been decided! Each one was chosen for a reason. Australorps almost got dropped but I kept pushing for them!

Columbian Rock (Mainly chosen because my mom really liked their coloring)
Brahma (Winter laying)
Barred Rock (May or may not be dropped but chosen for high number of eggs)
Australorp (Mine! Lol mainly because I really wanted them but them having a earlier possible laying age and high number of eggs eventually sold my mom on the idea)

Easter eggers (More likely a later addition or instead of Barred Rocks it depends. My mom likes the color ranges of the chickens while also the coloring of eggs)

However there is still a future of adding MANY breeds. Honestly my mom did get stuck between the Barred Rock and the Dominiques just because they look so similar.

It was tough researching everything. Egg production, hardiness, personalities, and foraging abilties. I even added broodiness and mothering to the research. As well as the probablity of them being picked off by predators first. And then I ended up having to go back and completely look at each breeds rooster personality because my mom was worried about the possibility of my sister being attacked by a rooster during breeding season lol. But yeah! I'm looking forward to spring. Winter is honestly my favorite. Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds and many others are a possibile addition in the coming years when we upgrade to a chicken mansion lol (It will happen I bet on it)

Honestly I'm a little worried about all the research I did. Australorps were said to be complete push overs lol Like complete bottom of the pecking order apparently. But that was another pro that my mom liked. I'm looking forward to it.

Our plan: All day free ranging (Cooped up at night), Were talking about training them to come in at night with a bell and food to get them into the habit of going in at night. Anyone ever try training? I don't see them becoming meat birds any time soon unless theres a rooster issue or we need meat but then 'they' may only cull a bird or two at a time. (Note I said 'they' I refuse to kill them. I will help with feathers but killing no thank you!) I will be doing all the raising anyways. I ain't doing it all lol

Aside from that maybe 2-3 year range we might invest in a incubator to hatch our own unless my mom decides we should let them try to naturally hatch them. Once were getting more eggs than we eat we will definitely be selling/giving away. I may discuss selling birds with my mom later on after we start hatching but thats farther in the future. And it might not even work out to well so who knows what will happen lol.

Honestly my mom did get stuck between the Barred Rock and the Dominiques just because they look so similar.

I haven't had Barred Rocks, but I had two Dominiques. Very pleasant birds with good personalities. In fact, when I decided to focus on my Blue Australorps and was selling off the other breeds I had buyers who had young children trying to figure out which birds they wanted. I scooped up Buffalo, my remaining Dominique for them, saying "This is the friendliest bird in my flock."

Their eggs aren't as large as the Australorp's but Buffalo was a reliable layer and the rose comb is good for cold weather.

Australorps were said to be complete push overs lol Like complete bottom of the pecking order apparently.

Not mine. But they *are* calm, laid-back birds. Active, but not flighty. I haven't had any bullying or timidity issues.

Back
Top Bottom