are chickens "racist"?

0die

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2015
corpus christi, tx 78413
I have noticed that my same species chickens seem to always form their own "flock".

My first round was a few RIR and Sex Link chics all at the same time. they almost immediately split up and did not mix. I took that as a good indicator the breeds will not willingly mix with other breeds unless they have no choice.

So I always get ONE of each. Never 2 or more of any breed at a time.

A couple years ago, a guy at work moved and he dumped his 3 chickens on me. I had an established flock (7) of ALL MIXED breeds. Well 2 of his 3 chickens matched 1 of mine. Within 24 hours, those 3 formed their own subgroup. His odd chicken out was then rejected by the other two of his in favor of the one of mine that was the same breed.

Your experiences?

Chickens always favor those that look like them. I've witnessed this countless times in my large mixed flock

One American Game mother here is constantly broody and she'll hatch large clutches of mixed eggs. Her babies will be a thoroughly mixed crowd, but upon adulthood they'll start hanging out with the other birds that look like them instead of the adopted siblings they were raised with

I had Egyptian Fayoumi for a while and they were cruel to all other breeds, except for the lavender chickens that resembled them from the neck up. They made friends with the lavenders

Back
Top Bottom