Are female ducks louder during their "laying season"?

Msbunny3307

Hatching
Dec 1, 2015
Hi there! My female duck just starting laying eggs about 5 days ago and in that amount of time I've realized she has become very vocal! It's like she wants me in her sight at all times or she starts... It sounds more like honking than quacking and she doesn't really stop unless she's sleeping, eating, or very interested in something nearby.
And of course my male duck follows her lead and starts singing as well.

They were very quiet before and I've heard people say "a quiet duck is a happy duck" so that's why I'm worried.

they both eat all flock food and I have a dish of both grit and crushed oyster shells for added calcium left out at all times, I've been giving them a dish of lettuce every morning, (hopefully that's not too much! ) with fresh water minimum 3 times daily plus a good bit of entertainment,

Also slightly off the main topic but I've gotten 4 eggs in 5 days and all are rubbery and hard to break, I hear that can mean she's low in calcium but I've given her oyster shells although I don't know how many much eats, today I tried giving her kale because it's high in calcium and she liked it but I'm not sure what else to do

Any thoughts you guys?
I just want to make my ducks as happy and healthy as possible!

Last edited:
All my female ducks get extremely noisy, especially when they are sitting and get off the nest for some food/water.
One in particular, Savanna, who is a runner mix honks instead of quacks. When she gets off the nest she runs around the yard in a panic honking loudly and shes so worked up that she forgets what she got off the nest for. So she goes back and sits on the eggs, realizes shes still hungry/thirsty and repeats the whole process.

Back
Top Bottom